On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 6:45 AM, <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> Yes, I realize you are opposed to GMO,

You really have no reading comprehension! My whole point was that I have NO
OBJECTION to GMOs. I said "I have no patience with the view (all too common
among those on the left) that GMOs are a dangerous health risk since all
the scientific experts I've seen say that extensive study has shown no more
health risks from GMOs than from crops created through selective breeding",
which means I DON'T think there is any elevated risk because I TRUST
SCIENTISTS IN GENERAL, regardless of which political "side" is trying to
oppose some of their research.

> I acknowledge that you are confident of the climate alarmists

I place confidence in climate SCIENTISTS when they themselves are strongly
confident about an issue in their field, just like I would with any other
natural scientists. But I guess in your world, "climate scientist" is
basically synonymous with "climate alarmist".

, yes, you concede that some Red-Greens (there are none others) oppose
> nuclear fission, you would say some of them, and I will claim nearly all.

Of course you can present no evidence for this view, you judge things based
on cartoonish images of "leftists" in your mind (formed in bygone days I
bet--how old are you, out of curiosity?) rather than reality.

> You write of solar as if it now at hand, to replace dirty energy with the
> clean.

I simply said my understanding is that it would be technically and
economically feasible to replace fossil fuels with solar, which is not to
say it is "at hand" because it would still be quite expensive and the
politicians are not in agreement about the urgency of a major Apollo-like
program to get this done.

> You have no comment on the inconsistency of the power elites' behavior, in
> not behaving as if there is no climate change, yet advocating it as public
> policy, as if it were true. You have dismissed this inconsistency as due to
> the elites' short-term thinking, and concur with the scientists who are
> employed by these people. I do ascribe nefarious, motives, to the
> scientists, as no one else dares to.

And as I said, you seem to have a double standard about scientists, unless
you are broadly skeptical about ALL scientific claims whose detailed basis
you don't understand. If you were consistent, you would be open to the
possibility that evolution-deniers, HIV/AID deniers, and other crackpots
who dispute various theories are correct that scientists are colluding to
cover up the weakness in the evidence in these theories...but I bet you DO
trust the scientists in these cases, even without understanding the
detailed evidence. If you are not broadly skeptical of all science, that
means that you trust science when it doesn't conflict with your ideology,
but spin unfalsifiable narratives of shady conspiracies when it doesn't.

By the way, what's with all the out-of-place commas in your writing?
"nefarious, motives"?

> Simon, pure, they are not. But this is mere, observation, and you will
> dismiss this. As to physics, and chemistry, geology, and astronomy, the
> life sciences, I am ok, fine, with what they pursue. What they pursue (no
> matter political affiliation) are, at least, not funded by greedy
> politicians,

Um, all sciences rely on government funding (grants etc.), physics just as
much as climate science. And I'm pretty sure professors of climate science
aren't any richer than other science professors, becoming a university
professor is not the most lucrative profession. But anyway, thanks for
confirming that you DO have exactly the double standard about scientists
that I suggested.

> who are themselves funded by billionaire elites and their PAC's. Please
> invoke the Koch Brothers and I will be happy to list George Soros's
> influence in politics and his world view.

I'm sure you would love it if I would invoke the Koch brothers so you could
get back to what you love, which is science-free hot air about politics,
but as I said I'm not interested in that (plus I'm afraid I don't live up
to your cartoon stereotype of a leftist who believes America would be much
different if not for the baleful influence of those villainous Koch bros.)

> Thorium reactors, molten salt, or liquid fluoride might be safer, but I am
> not sure, I don't know. If molten salt comes in contact with water or air,
> I have read it could combust, and combust, furiously. Hence, my re-focus on
> solar, out of necessity. Yet, we are being told that there's no time for
> this development of solar, by greens.

Which "greens" are saying this? Can you name any names, or is it just
another example of checking what the fantasy figures in your head would say
rather than consulting reality? Most of the mainstream environmental groups
with any real political clout seem to favor long-term plans that would
result in a gradual reduction of emissions and replacement with renewable
energies like solar over several decades, similar to the emissions
reductions goals the EU has set for itself (and they have successfully
reduced emissions by 18% since 1990 when they set these goals, as I
mentioned earlier). Proposals like a carbon tax and a carbon cap would be
included in this, since the proposals involve starting with a tax/cap that
wouldn't require any major immediate change in what fossil fuel companies
are doing, and then gradually make it a tiny bit stricter each year over a
period of decades.

> What do they want us to do, a rational person may ask (assuming we can
> find one)?
>
> The great booming word from environmentalists is conservation, followed by
> the sound of chirping crickets, yes, there's a few crickets still alive
> after massive species decimation.

As I said to John Clark, no scientists really claim there has been a
massive decimation of species (percentage-wise anyway) at present, the
claim is that the RATE of extinction (percent of species going extinct PER
YEAR) has shot up in recent years, and that if it continues at this rate
for another century (or a few centuries depending on the estimate of the
current rate) then we will have a true mass extinction.

Jesse