>> Amoeba's Secret is not a peer reviewed research article, but rather
already written for mass consumption (-ish, as my son would say). My comments
applied to research articles only, as that was the context.

Russell, I determine the context because this current row was triggered when
Brent quibbled with a comment I made. The context is not peer reviewed
articles. The context is any material available to the general public. And the
question is to what extent the general public should be fed actual scientific
facts about climate change and to what extent they should rely on figures about
consensus amongst scientists.

>> I think Liz has clarified what is actually being claimed here.

Liz is under the misconception that I argue that climate change advocates only
use this consensus figure. My argument is not that, it is that when they use
this consensus figure they commit a logical fallacy.

It relates to my argument that climate change advocates are as prone to logical
fallacy and conspiracy theory as climate change deniers. This relates to the
study that was pulled from the journal which in my view is as politically
orientated a study as there can be. It only investigates those conspiracies
dreamt up by climate change deniers and has nothing to say about how conspiracy
theories are used to deflect attention from science generally. Ofcourse, when
climate change advocates portray a climate change denier who is challenging the
actual science as being 'in the bed of oil barons', they are doing precisely
the same thing. When they dismiss what the climate change denier argues because
'97% of scientists agree' they commit a fallacy. This latest row was trigger by
nothing more controversial than that.