On 29 May 2014 13:56, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 5/28/2014 6:48 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 29 May 2014 13:43, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/2014 6:28 PM, LizR wrote:
>>

>>> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/innovators/2014/05/140528-lori-marino-dolphins-animals-personhood-blackfish-taiji-science-world/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_tw20140528news-lori&utm_campaign=Content&sf3097303=1
>>>

>> "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but Can they
>> suffer?"
>>     Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832)
>>

> Ah, so consciousness *is* both more difficult and more important than
> intelligence!
>
>  I don't think it's more difficult - I think some very unintelligent
> animals can suffer.  Of course there are different kinds of suffering. I
> doubt that suffering pain requires human-like consciousness, but suffering
> existential angst probably does.

No one mentioned huiman like consciousness (well, no one except you).

Consciousness is required for suffering, and we have very little idea which
animals are conscious. Whereas we can tell how intelligent animals are by
looking at their behaviour - their ability to learn and to deal with novel
situations etc. Hence consciousness is more difficult to detect than
intelligence.

And if one believes your quote, it's also more important.