On Sunday, June 1, 2014 10:43:14 PM UTC+1, Liz R wrote:

> On 2 June 2014 03:50, <ghi...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

>>> According to my religion, God can compute the future of a block timeless
>>> MWI universe at any time out to infinity. So, such a god is omniscient to
>>> that extent including knowing "what it is like to be every possible
>>> observer having every possible experience."
>>>
>>> But such a universe is deterministic and may lack free will. In my
>>> religion, god has provided for free will within our universe. God has also
>>> provided ethical questions of good versus bad by eliminating much of the
>>> bad for example in the rebirth process..
>>>
>>> God accomplishes much of this by always selecting the quantum state (in
>>> every interaction where more than one possibility is available) that
>>> maximizes some aspect of the future universe- like Liebniz proposed. Much
>>> of what God accomplishes might be replaced by algorithmic mechanism within
>>> comp.
>>> Richard
>>>

>> what I like about this is that you are candid in your beliefs, and that
>> they are at the level of religion
>>
>> I'm not sure I like an explanation that involves a supernatural being
> inspecting all the 10^80 (or whatever) atoms in the universe every time one
> undergoes a transition, and deciding which one is best. There's a lot of
> cold hydrogen out there radiating at 21 cm, for example, so every time one
> emits a photon god has to check it to see it it's the right photon. I feel
> like I may turn into an Occam's razor-wielding maniac just thinking about
> it.

Oh, well that's perfectly true (what you say) as well, and why, although I
would anyway call him a friend (internet tense) and have known Richard
Ruquist almost from the start in terms of my personal history of
idea-exchange/discussion on the Internet medium, we've almost never managed
to agree about anything at all. Not sure what his side of that would be,
and probably wouldn't agree with that either, nor he mine, but FWIW mine
was the same as my trouble with agreeing with our Bruno, that being the
point you (seem to ) make right here. That being an apparent contradiction
of what I say above, which presumably would be why you make the point
within this context, if that is the point that you make (and why). That
being to my reading how Richard Ruquist's world view is an intractable
composition, one way or another, of real or apparent attempts to blue the
distinctiveness of Science.

However, through much learning and personal misreading, something I haven't
realized until more recently, and which no doubt he won't agree with so
continuing the tradition, is the twinkle in the eye (so hard to see over
the Internet) that has consistently been there throughout. He says it, and
it apparently looks as it apparently looks. But the twinkle in the eye that
says it ain't so, is that he encapsulates it, and always has, with candour
as to what he believes, and it's status in, and purely in, religion. As he
does here.