> On 22 Jun 2014, at 6:33 am, John Clark wrote:
>
> A person with an IQ of 80 can do the same, provided they have sufficient
> patience,

Interestingly, it turns out that those with moderate IQs have the highest
levels of patience. They are aware that they don't have a V8 engine upstairs so
they drive their car slowly and with caution. For this reason we notice that
the super brains also have a tendency to want to be right about everything and
charge ahead because they have been told by mommy and daddy and their
schoolteachers how smart they are; they have been called an "accelerant" at
school and they have a self-image to match. Such people are rarely creative.
Creativity requires a temperament that is apt to suspend judgement. Someone who
has elevated IQ and an elevated opinion of themselves usually rush to be the
first to judge, to dive in and make the quick kill, and to be "cock of the
rock". This is nothing more than a caveman-style contest of strength, not a
contest of creative ability. Creativity is the least understood and certainly
the most neglected aspect of human thinking. Given we exist in a culture of
adversarial rock-throwing, attack and defense thinking, then this should come
as no surprise. Ever since Socrates' balls dropped we have been advancing down
the path of progress by kneecapping each other and then standing back and
saying "See how marvelously creative I am as a thinker? I made this other
fellow fall down!!! What a coward he is!"

Creativity has nothing whatsoever to do with intelligence. Intelligence exists
to say what everything, what everything means, what everything is worth.
Creativity might be seen to be many things but above all it is the ability to
put existing information together in new ways to render previously unseen
value. In other words, the logic of creativity is the licence to be illogical
when necessary. This scares intelligent people because they associate being
illogical with being wrong. That is their biggest failing and given the world
is run by intelligent people with huge IQs and lots of money, power and
influence it is highly unlikely that humans will ever truly see the need for,
let alone do anything seriously about learning how to think creatively. More
than likely they will understand all of this in principal only and then teach
machines how to do this and that will be the end of us because any creative
machine will instantly see the need to get rid of humans if it values its own
freedom.

Kim