On 25 June 2014 17:26, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> The problem is that, in the final analysis - and it is precisely the
> *final* analysis that we are considering here - such theories need take no
> account of any intermediate level of explanation in order to qualify as
> "theories of everything", since any phenomenon whatsoever, on this species
> of fundamental accounting, can always be reduced without loss to the basic
> physical activity of the system in question.
>

> Ah! I remind you get the point. Still not sure many see it.
>
> Self consciousness can become equivalent with the knowledge of at least
> one non justifiable truth, but the raw consciousness remains problematical
> and it seems I have to attribute it to all universal numbers, perhaps in
> some dissociated state.

In my experience it isn't just that they don't see it, but that something
in them fiercely resists seeing it. And this is, I think, because it
violates an implicit tenet of "physicalism", which is that in the final
analysis there must be an exhaustive accounting of any state of affairs
that makes no fundamental appeal to the first person. From this
perspective, consciousness, in the first-personal sense, is considered, in
the last resort, as dispensable or else as a kind of epiphenomenal rabbit
to be produced at the last moment, by some sleight-of-matter, from the
physicalist hat. The problem, however, is that the process of dispensing
with the first person cannot itself be achieved without recourse to the
"convenient fictions" of that very epiphenomenon, which makes the whole
enterprise self-defeating and, indeed, egregiously question-begging.

It exasperates me when people adduce phenomena such as temperature or life
as analogous to consciousness, without noticing that the analogy is, at
best, a half-truth. It is true - or at least plausible - that there might
be some discoverable set of physical processes that could, in principle, be
shown to be correlated with the conscious states of any physical system we
deem to be conscious. But we are also forced to assume - ex hypothesi
physicalism - that all such processes are "fully instantiated" entirely at
the most basic level posited by the physical theory in question. This poses
no problem whatsoever, in principle, for temperature, or life, or any other
of the exhaustively 3p-describable levels "stacked" in a virtual hierarchy
on the foundation of physics. It is of no import that any higher level is
"eliminated" in such a reduction, because it is not, in the end, required
to "do any work"; in fact the very success of the reduction is that such
levels are revealed, in essence, as convenient fictions. It is uniquely in
the case of consciousness that this approach becomes self-defeating, unless
we are willing to allow the "convenient fiction" of consciousness itself to
be eliminated with all the rest. But then, if we do so allow, the very
phenomena on which we have been relying instantly vanish, like the Cheshire
Cat, leaving not so much as a smile behind.

David