On 09 Jul 2014, at 22:12, John Mikes wrote:

I apologize for taking a new title for this over-discussed topic.
Somebody (sounds like Bruno, the fonts look like Brent) wrote:
"...let us do theology seriously instead of referring to fairy tales. You confirm what I said to John Clark. Atheist defend the God of the bible. Read Plotinus, forget the bible, unless you find some passage you like and which inspire you, but that is private, don't make that public. "

It was me (Bruno) who wrote this (perhaps quoted by Brent).

I refer to the generality about 'atheists' in the passage. I emphasize that I am no atheist in such a sense who IMO requires 'a god to deny' (my vocabulary includes the term as 'denying' instead of 'defending').

Yes. Atheists sometimes just don't believe in the literal popular interpretation of the bible. In europa many christians are atheists in that sense. they would say that they believe only in some value around the bible, including sometimes tradition, which consists in ceremony (mass, marriage, funeral) and in making the children believing in angel a bit longer than in Santa Klauss. The popes since vatican II condemn literal interpretation, and except some sects, nobody religious defend literal reading of the bibles.

I simply exclude those facets which are beyond our reach at present. In speaking about Everything I think of an infinite complexity of components we cannot even understand (today) - nor the relations between them ALL. We include SOME into our 'model of the world' as of yesterday without knowing if we are right.
OK. same for me, but I assume the brain is Turing emulable (like all known phenomenon in physics). That might be wrong, but the consequence provides a consistent and rationalist interpretation of Plato and the mystic. Again that makes not them true, but "truth" is just not knowable as such in the scientific enterprise. If we don't postulate testable theories, then we will never know to be wrong and we will not learn anything. The complexity that you invoke might be the one already present in arithmetic. keep in mlind that arithmetic is only exceptionally computable (most of it is not), but computationalism/mechanism provides a role for both the computable and the non-computable. In fact we "live" on the border between the computable and the non- computable, and the FPI is confronted with the non-computable.

In such sense even a (sane-minded) adilt can be an 'atheist'.
OK.

Bruno

John M