On 13 July 2014 22:01, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> Well, if you still hold to your earlier opinion, you should agree
>> that, in terms of an explanatory hierarchy based on an ontology of
>> molecular kinetics, temperature must be considered to have been
>> eliminated *ontologically* (i.e. to have been revealed as *nothing
>> more than* the underlying kinetics).
>
> I can, and see what you mean, but I prefer not, because I am realist on the
> relations and higher 3p description too.

Well, I'm still not really convinced that the fundamental assumptions
of physical reduction justify your realism on the higher-level
descriptions. But actually I'm not even sure that one need insist on
this to stop the notion of "physical computation" dead in its tracks.
And of course if one can do this then it must also, a fortiori, put a
stop to any idea of linking any such notion with consciousness. This
reductio was really the point of my argument and if I had to sum it up
for "grandma" I would say that the key idea is just that, ex hypothesi
physicalism, action of any sort and at whatever level of description
must always be reducible to *physical action simpliciter*. So
accepting physics as a TOE is equivalent to accepting both that no
possible action can be omitted from its explanatory scope and that no
further class of action need be appealed to in accounting for any
physical state of affairs.

I think from that one can already get the idea that, under such
assumptions, supplementary notions such as computation are simply
*redundant* in explaining physical action. Indeed the MGA itself
exploits this basic insight by showing how relations originally
accepted as "computational" can be entirely evacuated from a physical
system whilst preserving the same net physical action (including, pace
Brent, the same relations with a physical environment). Even in the
case that we accept a notion of physical computation as an a
posteriori attribution, that attribution cannot retrospectively be
accepted as adding anything to the exhaustive "reductive hierarchy" of
the physical object or system in question. To put it baldly, under
physicalism, a PC or a brain is, at whatever level of description, a
physical object first last and always. Any action associated with that
object must, under the same assumptions, be exhaustively reducible to
the explanatory basement of physical entities and relations. Such
explanations are bottom up all the way down. Hence there is simply no
place in that explanatory hierarchy for any supplementary notion of
"computation" distinguishable from what is already fully embodied in
physical action.

In the end, the point is that, as you argue yourself, computation is a
fundamentally mathematical (indeed an arithmetical) notion, not a
physical one. And clearly computation as a whole is more extensive
than any of its sub-classes. Consequently, it must be the case that,
although one can construct an argument for the emergence of physical
relations in the form of an observer-dependent sub-class of
computation, there simply can be no parallel argument available in the
opposite direction.

> Then I think it helps to single what is precisely difficult in consciousness
> which will be the modal difference, instead of a 3p higher description.

I can understand your attitude here, and I draw the same conclusion,
but I still think it a pity to miss any potential opportunity to
de-construct the notion of physical computation in its own terms.

David