On 14 Jul 2014, at 02:04, meekerdb wrote:
Yet that seems to be what Quentin requires in order to say to instances of the MG compute the same function. Knowing the universal number or knowing the function is like the problem of knowing all the correct counterfactuals.

The MG is supposed to have been made at some right substitution level, by us, by chance (whatever), then (and here I am not sure of Quentin's wording, but each computation at some level is emulated "in parallel" at infinitely many coarse grained level in arithmetic, that looks like more primitive computations. To give an example, imagine a Lisp program computing a factorial function. You have a well defined computation in term of the stepping (tracing) function associated to an interpreter Lisp and the input (factorial 5), say.
As Lisp is a universal number, that *counts* as a computation.
But then imagine the computation of the Lisp program emulating a boolean Graph (Nor gates and their link and delays) emulating a Z80 processor, emulating itself a Lisp interpreter computing (factorial 5) with the same algorithm as above. Does that comp for a computation of (factorial 5). It does. Is it the same computation? Not really. It is a different path in the UD*. If that process incarnate the conscious flux, then both does, but one if (by construction) at the simplest right level (program in Lisp computing fact 5), and the other is, notably, emulating a lower level, that is the Boolean graph of the Z80 processor.

Are they the same because they both compute 5!; even if they used different algorithms?

No. If they use different algorithm, the function computed is the same, but the computation differs. But in the above case, I suppose it is the same algorithm, but we look at the implementation at a lower level. Again the computation differ at that lower level, and does not differ at the higher level. In the UD*, this will correspond to different phi_i(j)^n, and thus different computations, but equivalent from the "point of view of the factorial" (say).

Bruno

And, yes, knowing the universal number and its data, you know, or can derive, the counterfactuals.

Comp says that there is a level of description of myself such that those computation *at the correct level" "carries my consciousness".

There's where I agree with JKC. You keep fudging what "comp" means. The above is *not* the same as betting that the doctor can give you a physical brain prosthesis that maintains your consciousness.

I don't see this. Please explain.

I think the level description would have to include not only you but your "world".

Well, I agree, that is why we need to distinguish []p and []p & <>p, and []p & p.

Universal numbers can justify their own incompleteness and they can bet, and intuit, the thing with respect to which it is incomplete.

The []p is just a believer. The " & <>p" nuance is equivalent with giving him a world satisfying p. The " & p" nuance consists in keeping intact the relation between belief and truth (or "God", or "Real world", etc.).

The math shows that such nuances obeys different, but related, laws.

So I could say "yes" to the doctor even though I don't think the computational brain he installs in me is sufficient, by itself, to instantiate my consciousness.

Sure, me too.

But Brent, and Peter Jones, adds that the computation have to be done by a "real thing". This is a bit like either choosing some particular universal number pr, and called it "physical reality", and add the axioms that only the phi_pr computations counts: the phi_pr (j)^n.

I think Peter, like me, questions the existence of numbers as any more than elements fo language.

This is conventionalism. I consider that this view is refuted by number theory implicitly, and by mathematical logic explicitly. The existence of not of infinitely many prime number twins is everythi,g but conventional. With comp, the existence of your dreams in arithmetic, and their relative proportions, are not conventional.

So it is not like choosing a universal number, it's saying that some things exist and some don't.

Define "exist". If you say "exists physically" then you beg the question, and I will ask you to define "physics".

Define "exists".

See the preceding post. The TOE derived from the mechanist reincarnation belief, needs only to agree with the first order standard definition, mainly that a theory proves that something exists having some property P when the theory verifies (proves) P for some object. It is the rule A(x) -> B / ExA(x) -> B, (useful in more general setting), or more simply
the classical A(n) / ExA(x).

But that begs the question of whether the axioms are true. It is just "existence" relative to some axioms and rules of inference. Isn't that why you include &<>p...to assume the truth of the axioms in some world?

Then the points of view are definable, either directly in arithmetic, or indirectly, in term of precise , yet non definable in arithmetic, collection of numbers). Comp makes the use of computer science handy to make all this precise.

One can give a precise description of a unicorn, but that doesn't make it exist.

Then, each points of view defines its own notion of existence, and they are captured formally (at the meta-level) by the modal existence, like []Ex[]P(x), etc.

Well, this would just select (without argument)

It's based on observation not axiomatic inference.

That is explain in the comp theory. Observation is an internal modality of the arithmetical truth.

That I would like to learn more about.

You are using some "real existence" fuzzy notion to make a reasoning invalid, in the same way that a creationist can say that "Evolution Theory" needs a God-of-the-gap.

I don't see the parallel. We can presumably agree on whether or not something physically exists, whether we can interact with it by perception.

a special sub-universal dovetailing among (any) universal dovetailing. The only "force" here is that somehow the quantum Everet wave, seen as such a phi_pr do solve the measure problem (accepting Gleason theorem does its job).

But just choosing that phi_pr does not solve the mind-body problem, only the body problem in a superficial way (losing the non justifiable parts notably).

Or they make that physical reality non computable (as comp needs, but they conjecture that it differs from the non (entirely) computable physics that we can extract from arithmetic (with comp). But then it is just a statement like "your plane will not fly". Let us make the test, and up to now it works.

Yes, I'm willing to accept your argument as an hypothesis.

Comp is the hypothesis. the argument is not.

But it seems to me that it proves that consciousness and physics necessarily complement one another.

It is more than that. It makes physics the analog of a surface of what is real independent of me (the mind of the universal machine) which is more like a volume having that physical surface as a border.

Sounds like a good metaphor, but what exactly does it mean and how do you show it?

Starting from arithmetic you must solve both the mind problem and the body problem at the same time. I don't see that you've made psychology more fundamental than physics. You've made arithmetic more fundamental.

ARITHMETIC ==> NUMBER's PSYCHOLOGY ==> CONSCIOUSNESS ==> MATTER APPEARANCE ===> PHYSICS.

I agree with Brent, and I think everybody agree, when he says that reducing does not eliminate. But we can't use that to compare consciousness/neurons to temperature/molecules-kinetic. In that later case we reduce a 3p high level to a 3p lower level. And indeed, this does not eliminate temperature. But in the case of consciousness, we have consciousness which is 1p, and neurons which are 3p. Here, the whole 3p, be it the arithmetical or physical reality fails (when taken as a complete explanation). The higher level 1p notions are not just higher 3p description, it is the intimate non justifiable (and infinite) part of a person, which wonderfully enough provably becomes a non-machine, and a non nameable entity, when we apply the definition of Theaetetus definition to the machine.

But what does it mean to "apply a definition to a machine". And why should we apply *that* definition, which is far from axiomatic.

The accepted axiomatic is T or S4, that is []p -> p (with or without []p -> [][]p).

machine's have their "[]" well defined, and to apply the Theatetus' definition consist in define knowledge of p by []p & p.

But you equivocate on []. Sometimes is means "provable (from some axioms...Peano?)" and sometimes it means "believes".

It means provable by any "rich enough" machine. I limit myself to machine having correct arithmetical beliefs, and their arithmetically sounds extensions.

But you assume it "knows" *all* provable theorems - which cannot be true of any human being.