Hilarious! I've always had a soft spot for Searle. He writes very
well, he's much more entertaining than most philosophers and his
riveting 1984 series of Reith Lectures on the BBC re-ignited my
fascination with the topic. But his would-be-simple solution of the
mind-body problem holds up only so long as you fail to notice how
often he contradicts himself. For example, in this very video, he
ridicules "behaviourism" (i.e. reductionism writ large) and
computationalism and then assures us that consciousness is simply a
"system feature" of neurology (i.e. the behaviour of the brain). As
ever, his elucidation of the problem is more helpful than any proposed
solution he offers, but I guess that just puts him in the same camp as
(most of) the rest of us.

David