On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 4:07 AM, Pierz <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Plus I don't believe it can be said that Bruno's theory makes everything
> clear with respect to consciousness, as I've argued elsewhere.

Who can satisfy this suspiciously high bar? It seems to assume a posture
where people should serve you their work on a silver platter only if they
can satisfy such ambitious dream, lol. Where is the address of your throne?
Merely, if comp with the constraints referenced in the papers, then it
becomes clear why universal machine cannot assert this. Much weaker and
more modest than what you seem to interpret here.

> We might hope that a theory based purely on a mathematical ontology would
> not have to resort to an apparently magical proposition like there *being*
> an interior perspective to mathematics.

 We have no reason to imagine that there should be one, other perhaps than
> the fact that *we* are conscious.

Theatetus, specific definition of knowledge in conjunction with universal
machine properties, the use of modal logic to study their "internal"
provability capacities and the properties of their beliefs, self-reference
and universality constraints, realization of the modal box to use of
beweisbar in PA... this is already quite a considerable chunk of history of
maths and these related fields to chew on, and I leave out finer, more
exhaustive grained list of some of UDA's and AUDA's resources in this brute
sketch...

But to go much further, as you seem to, and claim the entirety of maths to
apply to your statement...This seems to trivialize how extensive study of
mathematics and history is. If this is so clear to you, it would not be a
problem to round up the usual suspects for internal machine views,
illustrate Bruno's use of them, and share with the list why they are
"magical" to you and clarify where you disagree... Indeed, if you have such
graceful command over all of math, as your broad statement presupposes,
then I'd guess you should find much more than the usual suspects. I'm all
eyes and ears.

> So the description of what mathematics is has this dimension of
> interiority added it to by the comp assumption

This could be misread to mean "exclusively claims from Bruno's work", when
it seems more like plausible continuation of history of domains in- and
neighboring computer science, logic etc. see above.

> - and the only answer as to "why" is that there is no answer.

Cue Sci-Fi drama music from 70s Star Trek and say that in Kirk's voice!

> So some magic brute fact remains, albeit within a nicely unified
> ontological framework. I would say only that I have little reason to go on
> thinking of this mathematical Platonia as purely mathematical.

It isn't, and your assumption that this represents some "entire, complete
solution/status" in admirable college dorm room style is dubious at best.
If anything, we see that we have twice the explaining to do, with open
problems popping up where we thought we made advances.

> Perhaps all is subsumed within consciousness itself, and mathematics is an
> emergent phenomenon so long as our consciousness remains limited within
> Form, which by its nature demands self-consistency. Sheesh, getting very
> mystical here. Enough.

If anything, not mystical enough, perhaps... Especially in the joke that
"mystical" is no go. I joked two weeks ago the old thing that in some
informal sense, everybody's beliefs end in some unjustifiable space bunny
like propositions facing ultimate questions. Nobody seems to have caught
that... that there is no "not-space bunny" believer. The ones that do
practice "not space bunny" in militant certainty, they just seem even
nuttier. PGC