On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 12:24:37PM +1200, LizR wrote:

> As per what I was saying about Watson (or whatever it's called), the baby
> needs to be immersed in an environment in order to develop any form of
> consciousness beyond the rudimentary raw feels provided by nature - that
> is, it needs to be educated by interaction with the environment, and with
> other people (i.e. assimilate culture).

This actually supplies a good reason for why we should find ourselves
in a regular, lawlike universe. We can get by with a smaller genome,
and learn the rest of the stuff that makes up our mental life, which
is a more likely scenario (even evolutionary speaking) than having a
large genome directly encoding our knowledge.

Of course, that is only possible if in fact the environment is regular
enough to be learnable.

Cheers

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret