On 07 Oct 2014, at 20:17, meekerdb wrote:

On 10/7/2014 1:17 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 06 Oct 2014, at 20:15, meekerdb wrote:

Here's an interesting interview of a philosopher who is interested in the question of whether God exists. The interesting thing about it, for this list, is that "God" is implicitly the god of theism, and is not "one's reason for existence" or "the unprovable truths of arithmetic".

How do you know that? How could you know that.

I read the interview.  For example

D.G.: I'm not a believer, so I'm not in a position to say. First of all, it's worth noting that some of the biggest empirical challenges don't come from science but from common features of life. Perhaps the hardest case for believers is the Problem of Evil: The question of how a benevolent God could allow the existence of evil in the world, both natural evils like devastating earthquakes and human evils like the Holocaust, has always been a great challenge to faith in God. There is, of course, a long history of responses to that problem that goes back to Job. While nonbelievers (like me) consider this a major problem, believers have, for the most part, figured out how to accommodate themselves to it.

It's obvious that Garber is talking about the god of theism. If he were referring to some abstract principle or set of unprovable truths there would be no "problem of evil" for that god.

On the contrary, computationalism will relate qualia like pain and evil related things with what numbers can endure in a fist person perspective yet understand that this enduring is ineffable and hard to justify and be confronted with that very problem.

There is a problem of evil in arithmetic. Is there a hell, for example, that is how long can we endure a pain? Does qualitative pains augment or diminish with the number of neurons, or the size of the relative numbers?

Well, with comp the math is there for the theology (including physics) of the ideally correct machine, or more exactly of the person canonically associated (by incompleteness) by the machine to itself in the arithmetical reality.

I am interested in all human theologies, because they can reflect the experience of machine successful in introspection, but in practice you can distinguish the genuine theologies, which encourage the personal research and the use of reason, and the non genuine theologies which invoke the talk of one machine and imposes some literal interpretation to others and basically prevents, in one way or another, the personal research.

It is madness to separate science and religion. It creates the many pseudo-religions and the many pseudo-sciences.

Religion is the only goal: religare, relating and unifying the knowable. Looking for the "theo": the ultimate panorama, or a glimpse of it. And science is the only tool, with the help of art, music, experiments and experiences.

Arithmetical truth is not God per se. It is only so in the sense that it appears for machines to behave like Plotinus describes the One, and corrected Aristotle through the Parmenides, and this in a coherent way with respect to assume that consciousness is invariant for some digital permutations.

Note that the existence of pain is easy to understand from Darwin theory, but the making of the qualia remains far from easy to understand. Even with having the Z* \ Z logics describing the non communicable parts of the first person experiences. Pains might result from hidden self-lies or something.

IF comp is true, and if Christianism is true, the meeting with St- Ptere and the "dogma" of the Church might well be among the unprovable truth (unprovable by you and similar) of arithmetic. I doubt this, of course, but we just don't know. What is true and even provable, is that if we are consistent, in that case the discourse of the christians should be mute on this, and the Christians should just trust God for the advertising. So the behavior of some Christians might be inconsistent with arithmetic, but not necessarily the doctrine. But then the behavior of most institutionalized religion is already inconsistent or unsound with arithmetic, and the institutionalization is consistent like the provability of the false is consistent (but unsound) with arithmetic. That would mean that institutionalization *is* the theological trap that the machines already warn us against.