On 10/13/2014 9:26 AM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 2:17 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 10/12/2014 2:35 PM, LizR wrote:

        I imagine most philosophers don't think about God because God isn't a
very good
        explanation for anything. You just have to ask "where did God come
from?" so see
        that you've just been diverted away from the quest for knowledge of
ultimate (or
        original) causes.

That's true of the Arbrahamic, theist kind of God, which was my point to Bruno. Philosophers may very well think about "why we are here" or "the set of unprovable
    truths", but they respect common usage of language enough not to call it
"thinking
    about God", or "theology", as Bruno would have them do.

I just wanted to comment on all the sniping concerning Bruno's alleged "unusual use of the terms theology/belief/god": Having been introduced to a few members of catholic theology faculty of Trier, I've had a few discussions concerning the topic, and the use is not considered non-standard, when equated with ineffable, inconceivable, collection of all sets, transcendence/transcendental entity, reason or foundation/reality, god etc. Call it "working hypothesis" if you're vain enough and want to distinguish yourself and your usage from the common folk, if you need to. Same difference.

And I think it should raise an eyebrow, that this usage conforms even to conservative German Catholic theologian use, admittedly not the more traditional ones among them, but to academics, there didn't seem to be a problem.

Philosophers and members of this list who consider this non-standard should therefore point to some evidence

Exactly what I did. I pointed to an interview between academic philosophers of religion who opined that the the problem of evil was the most convincing argument against the existence of God. This clearly assumes that "God" does NOT refer to some ineffable collection of sets or foundation of reason or all uncomputable truths.

Brent

instead of the constant whining/sniping/policing without backup (which includes begging with "popular use" justifications; since when is this equated with serious evidence?). Catholic theologian are ahead of you + you guys don't offer any alternative, therefore you bore chanting this nonsense again and again, that not only exhibits consistency with neo-platonist (or Brent's "old Greeks") but with confessional Catholic theologians today, so get over it. PGC

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.