On 14 Oct 2014, at 04:24, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 , Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Not all information is computable. If (a_i) =
0000001000110000101011000011100010010001101100011101100001101000...
with a_i = 1 if the ith programs (without input) stop, and 0 if not.
That the halting oracle information, and it is not computable.

I know that, I also know that there is no logical reason or empirical evidence to think that the halting oracle exists in the physical world or even in Plato's abstract Platonia.

Time implement the halting oracle. There is a result by Schoenfield to that effect, which shows that the fuincion computable with the halting oracle are the function computable in the limit (in the computer scientist sense of limit).

> But, wait, we don't know if there *is* a physical world.

If there isn't a physical world then why do engineers need to spend millions of man hours and investors spend trillions of dollars making physical computers? If the existence of digital computers in Platonia is good enough why bother?

The engineers might be part of the "illusion" too. The question is why is the "illusion" so stable and so permanent that some can be failed into believe in a physical ontological universe? And yes, that is part of the problem, but computer science and mathematics gives clues.

Of course I meant here "primitive physical universe". You don't need to believe in it to go on the moon.

> if you work in the fundamental, that is a very big assumption,

If you work in the fundamental It's also a big assumption that Platonia exists.

No, because it is the most least Platonia ever. You need only to believe that 2+2=4 is true independently of you. You need already such Platonia to understand "Church thesis", "computation", etc.

> there isn't even any reason to think it exists in Plato's abstract Platonia. It's true that Turing prove that there are real numbers, lots of them, that no computational process can even approximate, but there is no reason to think anything else can either.

>Wow! Are you suggesting we should abandon the (P v ~P) axioms?

I have no idea what the "(P v ~P) axioms" are and neither I might add does Google. Does "P" mean Peano, or Polynomial or is it just more bafflegab? However whatever P means I most certainly don't reject both P and ~P, because if I were I'd be rejecting everything.

P was a vraiable here. By P v ~P axioms, I mean the scheme of the excluded middle axioms. (p v ~p, or A v ~A, or x v ~x, with other notations. It is uses here only for first order closed sentence of arithmetic, like "2+2=4" or "Ex(x+x=4)", etc.

Bruno

 John K Clark