On 10/28/2014 4:30 PM, LizR wrote:
On 29 October 2014 06:20, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 10/27/2014 11:47 PM, LizR wrote:
    As far as I can make out from David Deutsch's explanations qcs involve a
temporary
    splitting into two or more worlds, (or the equivalent - differentiation or
whatever).
    But to say the split is temporary is to violate the idea that they are
separate worlds.

But worlds are allowed to recombine in the Everett interpretation. In fact they aren't even well defined, only approximations to what's actually there, at least according to DD (and as usual assuming I understood him correctly).

If "recombine" just means exhibiting interference then I'd say it's just a semantic quibble. When a photon goes thru both of Young's slits and interferes with itself I'd say that happens in one world. Maybe Deutsch thinks of it as splitting into two worlds and then recombining at the detector screen. Once the detection has occurred, a spot on the screen, then the split has been amplified and entangled into the environment and is statistically irreversible. Then that defines a classical world (in my view). That world will not recombine with a world in which the spot appears at a different place on the screen.

Have you read Zeh's quantum darwinism? He attempts to explain why we perceive a world whose stable observable features are the ones we see. Deutsch has generally just assumed that the observable world must have the classical character we see. Everett and Bohr assumed what variable was classically measurable was defined by the choice of apparatus; but that seems circular.