Thank you for that lucid summary. I knew we weren't in a Tipler universe
due to dark energy, and I remember he made some testable predictions
including the Higgs mass, but I hadn't checked the figures. I have a
feeling gravitational shear (or something similar) also came into it - I
suppose the whole concept begs the question of whether one could perform an
infinite number of calculations during the collapse of a star to form a
black hole (perhaps a suitably prepared star...)

If one *can* perform an infinite number of calculations inside a collapsing
star (this would I imagine involve space-time being continuous all the way
down?) then perhaps one can also make a time machine from a finite, very
heavy rotating cylinder as in the Larry Niven story... :-)