On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> meekerdb wrote:
>

>> ISTM there are two ways of looking at it.  In one you say before the
>> event there were several possibilities x,y,z,... with probabilites
>> a,b,c,... and one of them, x, happened.  The energy before x was the same
>> as after x, so energy is conserved.  In the other you say x happened with
>> probability a in the multiverse, y happened with probability b in the
>> multiverse, z happened with probability c in the multiverse,...  And in
>> each of x,y,z energy was conserved and since a+b+c+...=1 energy is
>> conserved in the multiverse. Non-conservation only appears when you use
>> these two pictures inconsistently.
>>

> This seems to be the same as the renormalization that Wilczek talks about
> -- you essentially re-weight energies in the same way as you re-weight
> probabilities.
>

> If you mean by re-weighting the energies that the particles in different
branches have different energies,
then for example if the particle were a photon, each branch would have a
photon of a different frequency.
That would make MWI chaotic.

But if each branch has the same photon at the original frequency, energy is
not conserved.

OTOH if there is a probability that a branch will not happen, which is
always the case with renormalization,
then that's pretty close to a wave collapse. With renormalization there is
a probability that no branch will happen.
That also leads to chaos.
Richard