For some reason a lot of religious people attempt to argue that Darwin was
wrong, just as a lot of people seem to have always wanted to show that
Einstein was wrong. There appears to be something about these targets that
attracts a certain type of person, even though there might be better
pickings to be had objecting to the big bang or quantum theory from the
point of view of scoring points for the worldview being pushed. After all,
the Bible (for example) says that God made the Heavens and the Earth (and
the rest of the universe gets a throwaway line), so why object specifically
to evolution rather than, say, theories of planetary formation?

I'd guess because...

1. people take it personally that their ancestors were simpler creatures.
2. it's a target they can sort of, more or less, understand, even if they
can't really.

(I have a feeling people object to Einstein's theories because they don't
like the idea of being browbeaten by Jewish intellectuals...)