On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

 >>>  Evolution favours nothing.

>> and Evolution favors absolutely positively NOTHING else.
>>

> > By saying "favours" you are already attempting interpretation.

Yes. Interpretation means making sense out of something that otherwise
would make no sense, and that's what science is all about.

> > The concept of "next generation", for example, is already a higher level
> abstraction over a bunch of molecules interacting.

The "next generation" just means that something got duplicated, in this
case genes. So if something is good at getting into the next generation it
will outnumber something else that is not as good at doing that. And that's
it, no intelligence or knowledge or wisdom or foresight is involved.

 > "Smart" is a feature of by-products of evolution. I'm not sure what
> smart evolution could mean.

If Evolution was smart it would realize that it is not a good idea to
always settle for the local maximum; sometimes you need to step down from
the mountain top you're on and go into the valley in order to get to a
higher mountain than the one you're on, but Evolution doesn't understand
that because Evolution is not smart. When Evolution goes mountain climbing
ever single step it takes must increase, or at least not decrease, it's
altitude, not even a little. Using that strategy you would NEVER get to the
top of Mt Everest.

 John K Clark