On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 9:25 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 March 2015 at 20:57, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>
>> A fundamental difference in science is that peer reviewers are other
>> scientists, working on their own research. There are no professional
>> critics in science.
>>
>> That's true (I think). But there are plenty of commentators and so on, as
> well as science popularisers, and some scientists who are critical of
> others outside their areas of expertise. And some who are just critical of
> others full stop (Fred Hoyle was one I believe).

True, but notice that art critics are not merely commentators. They more or
less decide which artists become financially successful, which will then
influence what you are likely to see at a museum of modern art or an
exhibition. In science, although it doesn't hurt to have good press, your
success is mostly determined by your colleagues. Peer-reviews and
citations. In sports it's perhaps even more meritocratic: the commentators
can say what they want, but a football player who converts a high
percentage of kicks into goals will be hired by a top team.

I sense that Brent is perhaps suggesting that art is mostly bullshit. I
have several very smart science/engineering-type friends who hold similar
positions. I would say that this steams from a bias towards goal-driven
endeavours. Real art has no goal. The business of art has a goal, and rich
people care about what critics say because they are making an investment,
and wish to mitigate risk through social proof. This is perhaps a bit
depressing, but does it really matter? We are all still free to create and
appreciate art (or not) as we please.