OK, thanks.

Well, yes, it's true that I hadn't heard the term except in places like
this...

So anyway, the argument that the exact arrangement of the substrate isn't
necessary for consciousness means that the same experiences could be
generated by different arrangements of a given substrate, or perhaps
completely different substrates (which may just be a statement of
computational universality, or something similar?)

That in itself doesn't make the substrate *unnecessary* to consciousness,
surely? It's just saying that there isn't a one-to-one mapping, and (for
example) silicon or carbon brains might in theory generate the same states.
So a given conscious experience doesn't supervene on the exact same
configuration of the substrate... So maybe it doesn't always matter to my
experience if my brain has, say, 100 or 101 ions in a particular synapse
(or 1000000 and 1000001 - I have no idea what figures are realistic).

I'm not sure how you get from that to the non-primariness of matter,
however.