LizR wrote:
On 23 April 2015 at 16:16, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 4/22/2015 7:38 PM, PGC wrote:
    "Both the records and the mathematical objects are human
    constructions which are brought into existence by exercises of
    human will; neither has any transcendental existence. Both are
    static, not in the sense of existing outside of time, but in the
    weak sense that, once they come to exist, they don’t change” (pp.
    445-446)

The question they need to answer is /why/ these things don't change. Humans can change other things they make up - as already mentioned, the rules of chess are one example.

I haven't read the whole thing, so perhaps they do have an explanation for why made up things can't be changed? If so, I'd be interested to know what it is (not having time, sadly, to read every paper published on this list).

This is part of the excerpt I posted before:

"Once evoked, the facts about chess are objective, in that if any one person can demonstrate one, anyone can. And they are independent of time or particular context: they will be the same facts no matter who considers them or when they are considered."

I think this answers your question. If you change the rules of chess, you create a new and different game -- you do not change things that were true of the old game.

Bruce