On 23 Apr 2015, at 03:46, LizR wrote:

On 23 April 2015 at 13:24, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 4/22/2015 6:06 PM, LizR wrote:
I can't see how his categorisation works. Existence is generally considered to be a property of "kicking back" - of something existing independently of us, and not conforming to whatever we'd like it to be. For example. a planet is generally considered to exist - we can observer it (or land things on it) and discover unexpected results - Mars is not covered in H.G.Wells' Martian civilisation or Ray Bradbury's crystal cities, no matter how much we might want it to be. God (in the conventional sense of supreme being who created the universe) is sometimes considered not to exist because it's a concept that gets modified to account for new scientific discoveries - few Christians nowadays consider that God created the Earth 6000 years ago, or directly caused it to be entirely flooded, for example.

Roberto Unger and Lee Smolin are trying to claim that something can exist (kick back - or as they put it, have rigid properties) yet not have existed prior to being thought of by human minds. It seems hard to reconcile these properties. Something thought up that describes something that exists could reasonably be called an accurate scientific theory; something thought up that describes something that doesn't exist could reasonably be called fictional (or a failed scientific theory). I can see no reason why a fiction should have rigid properties. Conversely, if the subject of some theory kicks back, it's reasonable to consider it a (possibly) accurate theory describing something that should be considered (at least provisionally) real.
So is chess real?

No, chess is an agreed-upon set of conventions invented by the human mind.

Oooooh.... I agree with what you say above, but here you fell in a trap here. Chess is a finite game, so it exists, at least in the theory of the finite games, which is itself embedded in arithmetic. not only chess exists like prime number, but it can be decomposed cannonically into Nim-like simpler game, and they obeys laws which can kick back, especially if you play with someone knowing those laws!

It didn't exist before people,

Well, it existed before, but it was not yet discovered by humans in some history. In UD*, even the chess players exist "out of time". They are, roughly speaking, the number i such that the phi_i plays chess. That includes deep blues and Gasparov. Chess exists in arithmetic, as long with the (roughly) 10^120 games of chess, and even those non stopping (and thus recurring) where the local standard laws of stopping the play does not apply. They exist in abstract form, but also in relatively concrete form, like "in" the i such that phi_i emulates the Milky-Way at a very low subst. level. That emulation can go through the emulation of a chess board de luxe, in a rare wood with a special perfume.

and it has rules which can be changed without it kicking back (Castling, the pawn's two-square starting move - and hence en passant - were introduced to speed up the game).

Well, we can have a problem with the identity of chess, but that's the same with humans, animals and plants, and that makes them not not existing (in some modal sense) in arithmetic, once we assume computationalism, of course.