On 6/5/2015 12:22 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 , meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        >> It's very relevant if you want to know what is a simplified
approximation of
        what. And we both agree that a electronic computer is vastly more
complex than
        it's logical schematic, so why can we make a working model of the
complex thing
        but not make a working model of the simple thing when usually it's
easier to
        make a simple thing than a complex thing? The only answer that comes to
mind is
        that particular simplified approximation is just too simplified and
just too
        approximate to actually do anything. That simplification must be missing
        something important, matter that obeys the laws of physics.

    > The trouble with this argument is that the laws of physics are
mathematical abstractions.

Mathematicians are always saying that mathematics is a language, but what would be the consequences if that were really true? The best way known to describe the laws of physics is to write then in the language of mathematics, but a language is not the thing the language is describing.

I agree the laws of physics are descriptions we invent; but even so they are abstractions and not material and what they define is only an approximation to what happens in the world. That's what makes them useful - they let us make predictions while leaving out a lot of stuff.

Brent

A book about Napoleon may be written in the English Language, but the English Language is not Napoleon and mathematics may not be the physical universe.

Or maybe it is. As I've said many times I'm playing devil's advocate here, maybe mathematics really is more fundamental than physics but if it is it has not been proven.

  John K Clark

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.