On 22/04/2016 12:53 pm, Jesse Mazer wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On 22/04/2016 5:17 am, Jesse Mazer wrote:

    You seem to be saying this is impossible in principle, and you're
    confident enough of this to dismiss the possibility Rubin's paper
    has done this without apparently understanding the mathematical
    details either. So, given what I said above, should I take this
    to mean you think you have an argument for the impossibility
    which is entirely independent of Bell's theorem? If so you could
    you try to spell it out in a more detailed, step-by-step way?
    I have done this in the thread with smitra. The min conceptual
    argument is contained in the humorous little scenario I devised:

    I dream of some "XKCD-style" cartoon. Alice and Bob perform their
    experiments with particular settings and get particular results,
    which they separately record in lab books. Several weeks later,
    they meet up in a cafe down the street for a coffee. Alice puts
    her lab book with her results on the table, "Look", she says, "I
    got |+> with my magnet set at zero degrees to our agreed reference
    orientation." There is a pause.......then Bob slowly lays out his
    lab book. "Holy shit!", he says, "I also got |+> at zero degrees
    to our agreed reference." They look at each other with gradually
    increasing dismay........ "Fuck!", they say in unison. "That means
    that we don't exist..........." Their voices fade into silence,
    and then...........Nothing!.

    The point here is that some combinations of results are forbidden.
    How can this happen?

By the appropriate matching rules for locally-generated copies in different locations, as in my toy model. There's no reason you can't have something similar in a more general model, which I think is exactly what people like Rubin are presenting.

The best I can make of this is that you have some theory that is not quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics does not give any such "matching rules", nor does it give any dynamics whereby such matching could be effected. So you no longer have an interpretation of quantum mechanics, you have a different theory. It remains for you to develop this in a way that is convincing.

    Following back the train of information exchange between the
    participants, and accepting that worlds, once decohered, cannot
    suddenly disappear, it becomes apparent that the zero probability
    branches cannot arise because they are forbidden at the stage when
    A and B are still at spacelike separations. So they are forbidden
    non-locally.

But that clearly isn't true in my model, so there's no reason to think it *must* be true in more general models that reproduce arbitrary quantum measurements. In my model *and* in more general models of the sort that people like Rubin seem to be proposing, until matching between Alice and Bob has happened there *are* no "branches" containing facts about both of their results, only a set of local branches for one region and a different unrelated set of branches for another region. And once the two sets of branches can interact, they can be matched up in a way that creates zero probability of matching up a version of Alice who got + at zero degrees and a version of Bob who got + at zero degrees.

But your model only reproduces the quantum correlations because you have put them in by hand. That is not a viable model of physics. You claim that there are no branches containing facts about both A and B until this matching takes place. The rules for this matching presumably say that one must not match incompatible results. How is the matching done: does one pick one result, and search about for a match that does not violate the quantum statistics? You will have a problem if the basic experiment on each entangled pair is done at a recorded time. Both branches carry this timing information, so you can only match pairs that have the same time stamp. This means that for aligned magnets, you will have to discard 50% of the possible matches -- giving worlds that simply vanish for no coherent internal reason. Frankly, such matching is absurd, no physical law acts in this way.

Bruce