On 18 Jun 2016, at 02:59, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 18/06/2016 10:50 am, Brent Meeker wrote:
On 6/17/2016 5:25 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 18/06/2016 3:20 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 16 Jun 2016, at 12:34, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 16/06/2016 5:26 pm, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:33 AM, Bruce Kellett
<bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
On 15/06/2016 12:19 am, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM, Bruce Kellett

Assuming arithmetic does not even account for mind, much less account for matter. Saying that consciousness is a computation is empty until one
specifies precisely what form of computation.
It might be that all computations are conscious -- but with much different contents, of course. I feel some inclination towards this
hypothesis.

But then you explain nothing. You have just made an identification
"computation = consciousness", which tells us nothing useful
Yes, my point here is that, in the worst case, you are no worse than you would be with physicalism in terms of explaining consciousness, but at least you are taking modern science seriously (the brain looks
like a computer).

I don't see any reason why physicalism might be thought to be in conflict with a computational model of consciousness.

Physicalism assumes a reality to select the computations. With computationalism, this is not just not necessary, it cannot work without appeal to magic. A proof that there is no magic there would only be a proof that such physical reality equal the one derived from (intensional) arithmetic + computationalism.

The physical derived from arithmetic would have to be identical to the one observed or else you theory would be false.

The evidence that consciousness supervenes on the physical brain is overwhelming,

I agree. That is the basic motivation for Mechanism. My personal first discovery of the (universal) number is in the bacterium Escherchia Coli (in a paper by Jacob and Monod, also Watson).

The appearance of physical computers does not add to physicalism though, unless of course the facts refute digital mechanism, but as I have explained, if it looks it is the case (the measure problem) when we look in the details, the explosion of possibilities appears to be immense and well structured in a quite similar way in the physical appearances and in arithmetic (or any sigma_1 complete set).

All these problem dissolve if you reject the notion of a platonic realm for arithmetic and accept physicalism.

so no model of consciousness can deny that the physical has an important role.

Nobody doubt that the physical has an important role. It is, with consciousness what I want to get some explanation for.

As discusses in another post, I do think that Bruno's ideas (with the help of Gödel) provide an explanation to why consciousness looks like
a mystery to us.

Maybe most of the mystery is in the eye of the beholder!

Well, a part of that mystery has been translated into a mathematical measure problem.

That is why computationalism is very interesting, it makes a bridge between theology/philosophy-o-mind/cognitive science and mathematics, notably with a key role played by arithmetic theories and others sigma_1 complete sets.

Evolution provides a perfectly comprehensible route to consciousness,

To the easy consciousness problem. You don't seem aware of the hard problem, like Chalmers called it.

There is no hard problem ..... there is only confusion on the part of Chalmers and those who follow him. I think Massimo Pigliucci gets it right when he asks "What hard problem?", (http://philosophynow.org/issues/99/What_Hard_Problem ).

"I think that the idea of a hard problem of consciousness arises from a category mistake. I think that in fact there is no real distinction between hard and easy problems of consciousness, and the illusion that there is one is caused by the pseudo-profundity that often accompanies category mistakes."

A category mistake arise when, for example, you ask about the colour of triangles. This mistake led Chalmers to endorse a form of dualism. (And I think that ultimately you, Bruno, are also endorsing a subtle dualism in your approach.)

Pigliucci then goes on the endorse the evolutionary account: "...Once you have answered the how and why of consciousness, what else is there to say? "Ah!" exclaim Chalmers, Nagel and others, "You still have not told us what it is like to be a bat (or a human being, or a zombie), so there!" ... Of course an explanation isn't the same as an experience, but that's because the two are completely independent categories. It is obvious that I cannot experience what it is like to be you, but I can potentially have a complete explanation of how and why it is possible to be you. To ask for that explanation to also somehow encompass the experience itself is both incoherent, and an illegitimate use of the word 'explanation'."

Right. That's what I think of as "the engineering solution" of the hard problem. Once engineers can build intelligent robots and design them to emotive, or humorous, or creative, or sly, or reflective on demand; When we will talk about the program module for empathy, the memory access vs reconstruction algorithm, the module for self-regard (know as the organ of Trump)...we will stop caring about the "hard problem" because it will be like asking where is elan vital and an automobile engine.

Yes. I was going to mention the parallels with your "engineering solution" when I was writing this, but I forget -- sorry for that.....

He goes on to explain that this does not involve the elimination of the very concept of consciousness or of the self. The problem with this conclusion by people like Churchland and Dennett is that they are taking reductionism too far -- although everything is ultimately made of quarks, and the like, obeying the laws of physics, that does not mean that higher orders of explanation are illegitimate or eliminable (the old mistake of positivism!). Concepts such as evolution, consciousness, qualia and so on, have a definite role, but they are not somehow magical -- to attempt to 'explain' these things in reductionist terms is ultimately, as Massimo says, a category mistake. ("Where consciousness is concerned, the existence of the appearance is the reality".)

Have you read Sean Carroll's new book "The Big Picture". He says pretty much the same thing. He calls his philosophy "poetic naturalism": It's all QFT but there are a lot of more useful ways of talking about it.

I haven't read Carroll's new book (and probably won't because I don't like his attempt to redefine science as a non-empirical endeavour. Actually, Smolin's book with someone-or-other is possibly more useful: he rejects platonism and says that a better way is to seem mathematics as "evoked" -- i.e., it has properties independent of us, but we 'evoke' it by specifying some axioms. These axioms (and their consequences) are not pre-existent in any sense.

That expression is misleading.

An axiom is supposed to be true in some structure, not existent. Then the axiom itself might be existent in some other theories.

Now in the case of "rich" (Gödel-Löbian), in fact in the case of all essentially undecidable theories, (like RA, PA, ZF, ...) the theory are rich enough so that their axioms and consequences are reflected in the relation between the objects they talk about. That is why both "2 + 2 = 4" and "ZF proves "2 + 2 = 4"" are elementary arithmetical propositions (even provable by the very weak non Löbian RA). In that sense the axiom are pré-existent, but only in the mind of the universal numbers. It is like the distribution of primes is well defined, even before the first mathematician discovered the prime number and look at its distribution.

May be you could try to formalize your physicalist theory to see if it assumes or not the numbers or any universal system at the start. Then all what UDA shows, is that if you do assume it, adding Matter just does not work for the mind-body problem.

Physicalism/computationalism is just testable. And then QM (without the dualist collapse) adds evidence to digital mechanism.

Bruno

Bruce