Maybe we can think along the lines of why the "gay gene" persists. Gay
people make attentive uncles, improving the fitness of their near
relatives, or so the "just-so" story goes.

Maybe atheists are freer thinkers, able to think outside the box to
come up with solutions to important social problems. But presumably
society doesn't want too many free-thinkers, limiting the number of
atheists in society. Something like that.

Though how to explain that atheism in practice is probably the
dominant "religion" in Australia. And even more so amongst young
people, it appears. My son, who went to a nominally christian school,
said he only knew of two overtly christian boys amongst the 180-odd in
his cohort.

Food for thought.