On 5/9/2017 10:28 PM, David Nyman wrote:

On 10 May 2017 3:04 a.m., "Bruce Kellett" <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On 10/05/2017 12:41 am, Bruno Marchal wrote:
    On 09 May 2017, at 09:36, Bruce Kellett wrote:

    Yes, it does seem that we are each outlining positions and
    arguments that do not necessarily intersect at many points. I
    will try and answer some of your more direct questions. Why do I
    take the view that "the experience of a unique agent such as the
    one analogised by Hoyle or Barbour would be dominated by random
    events rather than the order imposed by the predominance of a
    robust physical-computational mechanism." The reason is that I
    am starting from a slightly different perspective -- I am
    looking at the UD as a system in its own right. The questions
    seem to concern statistics extracted from the behaviour of this
    system. When approaching such a question, I tend to look on the
    thermodynamic, or statistical mechanical properties of such a
    random system. If you take the UD, with its completely random
    operation over all possible (computer) programs, the analogy
    that comes to mind is that of thermal equilibrium -- every
    possible state has equal probability of occurring. Ergodic
    theory is possible also relevant, but I have less familiarity
    with that, so tend to stick to ideas deriving from Boltzmann.
    Given this state of thermal equilibrium, states of some order --
    such as conscious moments -- are going to be unlikely, and
    fluctuations that give single conscious moments are
    overwhelmingly more likely than more extended fluctuations that
    give a sequence of related conscious moments.

    Not sure I understand. The UD is not random at all.

    The sequence of computational steps may be deterministic, but the
    net result in the infinite UD is random. Think of Boltzmann's
    case, a gas of a very large number of molecules. The molecules
    move and interact according to entirely deterministic laws, but
    ergodic theory indicates that after a suitable time, the motions
    of the molecules will be effectively random. I think the same must
    happen with the dovetailer: although each program is
    deterministic, the dovetailing of infinitely many such programs
    means that sequences of individual steps are random (or
    indistinguishable from random).

    What is random is the First Person Indeterminacy on all the
    stable continuations of my states, as seen by the first person,
    so the first thing to do is to get a mathematical theory of the
    first person (which I take to Theaetetus, as Gödel's
    incompleteness makes it work again, again Socrates opinion).

    Given also the insight from Barbour that each conscious moment
    -- time capsule -- is self contained,

    I am not sure that such an intuition is correct. A conscious
    moment needs at least two universal numbers, but in fine relies
    on an infinity of them. Nor do I conceive such a thing as an
    observer moment. the semantic of all first person view (the
    modalities with "& p" attached to them) are topological.
    Consciousness is always on an interval, not on a discrete point
    in some time frame.

    I was deliberately vague in specifying what was meant by a
    "conscious moment". I doubt that it is of zero duration, but the
    duration is indeterminate. Beside, there is no concept of time in
    the UD, so it is hard to say what a conscious moment might
    actually be -- some sequence of computational steps, perhaps --
    but how many? A time capsule is certainly self-contained. Whether
    these overlap or not to give a sense of continuity is another
    question, and would seem merely to extend the notion of a
    conscious moment in time somewhat -- but what is time?

    and in itself, a complete explanation of our conscious
    experience, the computations that pass through our conscious
    moments are overwhelmingly likely to be random, with just small
    fluctuations from equilibrium. I.e., single conscious moments
    with no consistent continuation-- going from white noise to
    white noise. This is, of course, Russell's Occam catastrophe in
    a different guise. The experience of the agent is not random --
    they experience conscious moments with a seemingly coherent
    chain of memories giving a comprehensible history -- but there
    is no reason to suppose that these memories are veridical.

    They will be more or less plausible, with respect to the normal
    computations, if they exist of course, but they have to exist if
    computationalism is correct.

    The computations underlying the conscious moment have, then, to
    also compute the physics that renders the memories veridicial --
    but that involves memories stretching back tens of years. An awful
    lot of computations have to come together to make consciousness
    that means anything. Making the probability in the sea of random
    noise smaller and smaller all the time.

Sure, but probability of what and from whose point of view? Aren't you continuing to think of this principally from a third person perspective (actually merely an abstract "view from nowhere")? Yes, from that impossible point of view there is no conceivable search function that could locate the critical computational structures of this sort; under this interpretation their measure is effectively zero. Nevertheless we know their presence is in fact assured by assumption. In point of fact these computations have the recursive characteristic of exploding into an infinite fractal​-like structure of extremely high frequency (as Brent has recently put it) which would give them in a certain and possibly critical sense a highly robust and non-trivial structure. But the key point is that, on the basis of Bruno's theory of computational subjectivity (again, implied by assumption of the CTM), they must be *self-locating* from the first person perspective. This is the key difference that would unleash the creative subjective potential of the torrential output of the UD, as distinct from Borges's merely alphabetical Babel which can only ever be a zero-informational wasteland.

But how can we assess "probability" in such a context? Very controversial point as you know. Nonetheless, Hoyle gives us an intuitive heuristic that allows us to think of this in what is effectively a quasi-frequentist manner (i.e. the relative subjective frequency of "encountering" any particular momentary perspective over any finite segment of their abstract serialisation). This heuristic has both absolute (in the first instance) and relativising (in the second) self-sampling characteristics. If we think of it in something like this intuitive way (which IMO is the absolute key to the argument) then the justification of a measure assessed in the above manner has to lie in the direction of understanding how and why the "organised" threads of narrative subjectivity shouldn't be effectively swamped in a sea of subjective chaos because of competition from "pathological" quasi-narrative fragments. I've tried to pump our collective intuition with various analogies to suggest why this wouldn't necessarily be the case, to supplement Bruno's more rigorous logico-mathematical argument. Hardly conclusive of course but the intention is principally to encourage a harder look in this direction.

The sea of pathological dross that must form the overwhelming but fragmented majority of the "conscious potential" of UD* must somehow be effectively​ suppressed from the perspective of the relatively tiny, but mightily persistent and powerful narrative threads of veridical consciousness (i.e. those that refer truthfully to an externality that in turn explicates their perceptions of it, or what we call physics). A pathway of least effort through the phase space of possible subjectivity? Russell's solution to the possibility of an Occam catastrophe that would sink this fragile vessel is simply to assume that this physics is the unique requirement for its own observation. Open problem, as Bruno would say?

David

I'm not so concerned about the measure being non-zero. I'm sure fans of "everything" will just appeal to self-selection: the anthropic principle applied to the UD. My point is that the computations in the threads supporting some consistent consciousness will necessarily be computing also a consistent physics...that there cannot be JUST conscious thoughts. They must be embedded in a physical world, whether that world is made of arithmetic or something else. It is this physics environment that makes it possible to define "consistent continutation" as Bruce notes. So then Bruno's theory doesn't seem so different from what Tegmark and other physicists seek in a TOE. From the physics-first perspective, he has just hyposthesized which computations that are instantiating a physics also instantiate consciousness.