On 9/05/2017 4:36 pm, David Nyman wrote:
On 9 May 2017 6:16 a.m., "Bruce Kellett" <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On 9/05/2017 1:57 am, David Nyman wrote:
    On 8 May 2017 8:21 a.m., "Bruce Kellett"
    <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

        On 8/05/2017 4:53 pm, David Nyman wrote:

            Both Hoyle's pigeon holes and Barbour's time capsules
            assume that there is a coherent underlying physics with
            regular exceptionless laws. Until you have something like
            that, you cannot define consistent continuations.

            But I'm afraid that's implied by assumption unless one
            takes the view that the evolution of physical states is
            fundamentally incomputable,

        But I thought that that was what Bruno claimed. If one
        assumes physics in one's derivation, then the circularity is
        vicious.

    Oh dear no, that's not right at all. What is uncomputable is any
    extrinsically conceived *extraction* of physics from the
    computational Babel consequent on the theory. There is no
    possible search function for this. That extraction then is
    necessarily a complex consequence of observer selection. Post
    such extraction, the evolution of physical states is then by
    assumption finitely computable, modulo the FPI, else
    computationalism must fail as a theory of mind or of physics. At
    this point the objective situation, mutatis mutandis, is
    essentially equivalent to Everett's relative state assumptions.

    The other point on which I must take you to task is again the
    question of circularity. It's not the job of computationalism's
    toy model to explicate every detail of the extraction of physics,
    although it's already the case that it *predicts* the multiple
    continuations implicit in the wavefunction, which is more than
    can be said for QM itself which merely retrodicts them (again
    modulo the FPI). Given the conjunction of the assumption of
    computationalism and our observation of the physical environment
    described by QM, all the theory has to show at this stage is that
    it is not incompatible with these data (as it would be if, say,
    the evolution of the wavefunction itself were shown to be
    uncomputable). It should further explicate some reasonably
    convincing justification for why just such a physics might be
    expected to underpin the effective environment we observe. But
    the *facts* of our observation of such a physics are not at
    issue. There is no relevant question of circularity to deal with
    here.

    As to the so called Occam catastrophe, as exemplified in your
    Boltzmann brain scenario, potential resolution necessarily can be
    understood under computationalism only from a first person
    perspective, as I previously suggested to you. We need to
    justify, in terms of a subjective measure, why we should indeed
    expect the physics we observe to emerge as the predominating
    computational mechanism underlying our normally intelligible
    perceptions. To do this we only need to show that "last Tuesday"
    computational snippets can only reinforce, and magical or
    unintelligible ones cannot interfere, with "normally
    intelligible" and complexly connected continuations. A way to
    grasp this intuitively is in terms of something like Hoyle's
     "amnesic multiple personality" heuristic which, though as you
    say it was originally based on the assumption of physics, IMO
    illustrates the relevant considerations equally intuitively on
    computational assumptions. In any case, the analogy of a
    multitasking OS that I also mentioned suffices equally well in
    this regard.

    From this perspective, no amount of white noise in continuations
    of "Boltzmann" computations could make a substantive subjective
    difference. The reason being that the consequence is
    overwhelmingly​ likely to be a total subjective unintelligibility
    which will plausibly tend to be utterly swamped, in the struggle
    of forgetting and remembering, by "normally intelligible"
    continuations. The FPI is, obviously, the relevant consideration
    in this regard. This is what I meant​ when I said that an absence
    of evidence for this sort of pathology or unintelligibility is
    not evidence of its absence​. It suffices that these out of phase
    components of experience be swamped in the battle for what one
    might term personal subjective emergence. They just typically get
    forgotten far more frequently than they get remembered by Hoyle's
    multiply solipsistic agent. Hence what we may think of as
    pathological scenarios would be expected to be very poor and
    haphazard candidates in the ongoing struggle for apparently
    persistent, pervasive and lawful subjective emergence. What would
    emerge with these characteristics would then be consistently
    remembered histories underpinned by a robust and reiterative
    physical mechanism whose highly selective observation by us would
    then be the final evidence of its predomination in this epic
    personal struggle.

    I gave you an illustration a few days ago (on which you didn't
    comment) of what one might term the "psycho-theological" aspect
    of computationalism. I said that consciousness or first person
    subjectivity was really a pointless cherry on the cake of physics
    whose mechanism must be assumed to proceed without any a priori
    need of such a baroque supernumerary assumption. Indeed it can
    only be an a posteriori datum tacked on to the physical scheme of
    things. Computationalism, by contrast, can only be understood in
    the final analysis as a synthesis of all possible subjective
    personal histories. "Point of view" is then just what prevents
    them from all happening at once. Thus physics, under the same
    assumptions, can in turn be understood finally as the successful
    computational generator underlying the "dreams of the machines".

    David

    I find most of what you say here very much a matter of wishful
    thinking, and not entirely consistent at that. Let me come at it
    in a different way.

    I find Barbour's idea of time capsules quite helpful here. Each
    time capsule is a self-contained conscious moment. There is no
    progression necessarily involved, so the computation that gives
    one conscious moment is complete in itself, and independent of
    other such conscious moments. (In Barbour's picture, these moments
    are points in configuration space that are related physically, but
    we do not use that aspect here.) In the moment, you are
    self-aware, and aware of memories that give you a concept of self.
    But in that moment there is no way that you can know whether these
    memories are veridicial or not -- they could well all be
    completely false, in which case there is no "you" that continues
    through time as a related series of experiences. Each experienced
    moment is complete in itself, and there is no continuation. If all
    you have is the moment of consciousness, you can go no further
    than this. It is all an illusion, and there is no physics to extract.

    Of course, this is a solipsistic conclusion, but there is nothing
    in our experience of consciousness that shows solipsism to be
    false. The "I" is the "I" of the moment, nothing more.

    Now consider the UD in arithmetic. It dovetails all possible
    programs -- does all possible computations -- but most
    computations have nothing to do with consciousness. If we use
    Boltzmann's thermodynamics as an illustration of the situation,
    the computations of the dovetailer represent a state of thermal
    equilibrium, a state of maximum entropy. The characteristic of
    thermal equilibrium is that every microstate is equally likely --
    a state of complete chaos. Similarly, in the dovetailer, every
    computation is equally likely and there is no order whatsoever.
    Occasionally, in Boltzmann's thermal equilibrium there are
    fluctuations to states of lower entropy in which some order
    emerges, but according to the second law of thermodynamics, these
    always return to equilibrium. Similarly, in the computations of
    the dovetailer, there are occasionally computations that make some
    sort of internal sense. Some of these correspond to conscious
    moments. But, as in the thermal case, these rapidly return to
    meaningless noise. Small fluctuations to momentary order are
    overwhelmingly more likely than larger fluctuations to order that
    persists over time -- or computations that correspond to an
    extended sequence of (consistent) conscious states. In fact,
    within the dovetailer there are undoubtedly sequences of
    computations that correspond to the entire history of the
    observable universe, from the big bang through to the final heat
    death. But such calculations are of measure zero in the overall
    picture.

    So, if one is to take the statistics of computations that pass
    through one's instantaneous conscious state in order to extract
    meaningful physics, one will find that the overwhelming majority
    of these computations are of short-lived conscious moments that
    rapidly return to meaningless chaos, nothing more. The dovetailer
    would then say that no consistent physics can ever be extracted
    from the statistics over conscious moments, because these
    statistics are dominated by chaotic continuations.

    That does not necessarily mean that no consistent physics exists
    -- as I said, all of physics will be in the computations of the
    dovetailer somewhere. All it means is that such physics cannot be
    extracted by considering individual conscious moments as primary.
    Physics has to have an independent existence, or it has no
    existence at all, and solipsism is the only answer.

Thanks for your interesting comments Bruce. It's difficult to know how to respond because I still feel we are somehow at cross purposes. Perhaps I should start by commenting on the matter of wishful thinking. As I said to Brent, I don't see myself as an apologist for computationalism. Rather I'm trying to understand its possible implications. My views on the matter have changed over the years, particularly as a result of discussion on this forum, and I am perhaps more persuaded than I was originally (which is to say not at all). But I don't believe my wishes are really part of the picture. It's rather that I deliberately allow myself a modicum of intuitive latitude in these discussions - one might say going just a bit further than confidence in my position would allow in less speculative topics - mainly in order to stimulate the broadest possible critique from a valuable community of varied expertise.

The thing that changed my view the most, in direct contrast to what you say above, was considering the matter from a first personal perspective rather than the traditional "view from nowhere". By this I don't mean that I believe consciousness to be more "fundamental" than physics, but rather that I began to see Bruno's point that physics would have to be a subjectively driven filtration from the computational Babel if computationalism as a whole were to make any sense. The alphabetical Babel is a useless chaos because of the impossibility of an extrinsic search function but the possibility of intrinsic self-selection via subjectivity seems like a more promising proposition. But of course this demands a fundamental theory of subjectivity and it is indeed a fresh approach to this vexing question that Bruno has brought to the party. I suspect the amount and occasional ferocity of focus on his approach stems from something more than the mere desire to prove him wrong.

All that said, the point where I feel we're talking past each other is precisely on the issue of the extraction of physics. As I tried to point out, the facts of the matter are not what is at issue here. Rather the question hinges on whether it is reasonable to suppose, against the assumed background of UD*, that the vast majority of conscious moments would be a consequence of their supervening computationally on the observed physical environment rather than on random fluctuations. And the reason I make use of Hoyle's or Barbour's analogies is that they seem to lead naturally to a form of solipsism that I've called the amnesic multiple personality. Hoyle himself points this out. And far from seeing this as terminal for the argument (although frankly it amuses me that this despised philosophical position might be thus rehabilitated​) I find it genuinely enlightening on the question of how to reconcile probability in a quasi-frequentist framework in an overall context in which "everything happens" with certainty.

This is where what I've called the struggle or battle between remembering and forgetting comes to the fore. Admittedly it's an unfamiliar idea and hardly easy to come to terms with, not least for me, but in struggling with it I've found it genuinely enlightening with respect to many otherwise intractable puzzles, not least to do with personal identity and its putative history. In terms of our discussion, the area of disagreement which most puzzles me is why you take the view that the experience of a unique agent such as the one analogised by Hoyle or Barbour would be dominated by random events rather than the order imposed by the predominance of a robust physical-computational mechanism. I don't see why a mechanism "singularised" or selected in this manner would *at that point* fail to possess the necessary "independence" in the sense you demand of it. After all, this seems little different in effect from the so called anthropic selection invoked in other frameworks. I'm probably being a bit slow here, but could you explain again why you take this view, preferably putting it in the context of the approach I describe above if at all possible. As I said to Brent, a counter-argument is more enlightening than one that is merely different.

Yes, it does seem that we are each outlining positions and arguments that do not necessarily intersect at many points. I will try and answer some of your more direct questions. Why do I take the view that "the experience of a unique agent such as the one analogised by Hoyle or Barbour would be dominated by random events rather than the order imposed by the predominance of a robust physical-computational mechanism." The reason is that I am starting from a slightly different perspective -- I am looking at the UD as a system in its own right. The questions seem to concern statistics extracted from the behaviour of this system. When approaching such a question, I tend to look on the thermodynamic, or statistical mechanical properties of such a random system. If you take the UD, with its completely random operation over all possible (computer) programs, the analogy that comes to mind is that of thermal equilibrium -- every possible state has equal probability of occurring. Ergodic theory is possible also relevant, but I have less familiarity with that, so tend to stick to ideas deriving from Boltzmann. Given this state of thermal equilibrium, states of some order -- such as conscious moments -- are going to be unlikely, and fluctuations that give single conscious moments are overwhelmingly more likely than more extended fluctuations that give a sequence of related conscious moments.

Given also the insight from Barbour that each conscious moment -- time capsule -- is self contained, and in itself, a complete explanation of our conscious experience, the computations that pass through our conscious moments are overwhelmingly likely to be random, with just small fluctuations from equilibrium. I.e., single conscious moments with no consistent continuation-- going from white noise to white noise. This is, of course, Russell's Occam catastrophe in a different guise. The experience of the agent is not random -- they experience conscious moments with a seemingly coherent chain of memories giving a comprehensible history -- but there is no reason to suppose that these memories are veridical. So there is no order imposed by the computational mechanism. The statistics over these conscious moments does not give rise to any consistent physics. I say that "physics has to have an independent existence" because the failure of the attempt to extract physics from the UD means that the only way one can connect these independent 'conscious moments' is if they are, following Barbour, points in an independently existing configurations space. Barbour calls this "Platonia", within which physics is defined, but this is far from the platonia of arithmetical realism. The upshot is that physics does not come from the UD, but from somewhere else -- that elsewhere not necessarily clearly specified at this point.

Since the reversal, or the extraction of physics, seems to me to be the weak point of Bruno's argument, it is right that we should spend more time looking at alternative interpretations of the UDA.

Bruce