Forwarded on behalf of Brent.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Nyman <david.ny...@gmail.com>
Date: 2 June 2017 at 20:01
Subject: Re: A thought on MWI and its alternative(s)
To: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

On 2 Jun 2017 19:18, "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 6/2/2017 6:21 AM, David Nyman wrote:

I don't see how such experimental evidence can be claimed to exist,
given that there is no way to measure consciousness.

I think this is confused by an ambiguity about supervenience that I
recently posted about. In the sense that one's own consciousness can be
demonstrated to covary systematically with neurological function, there is
surely no lack of experimental evidence. In the larger sense, of any
finally unambiguous explanatory relation between the two phenomena in
general, the question of evidence then depends rather upon what one is
willing to count as explanation. The latter consideration is to say the
least both less obvious and more controversial.

Right.  And a point I've tried to make (apparently unsuccessfully) several
times.

Not so. I have always accepted your view as one of the essential components
of any explanation (i. e. the covariance part).

  In the case of physical phenomena, like gravity, we arrive at a
mathematical model and we're all happy - we've explained gravity.  When we
do the same thing, providing a useful model of the brain that predicts
conscious thoughts (cf. electrostimulation during brain surgery) we should
be happy that we've explained consciousness.  But NO, there are all the
philosophers dedicated to "the hard problem" who demand to know  "what
really makes consciousness?".  The analogy in physics is John Archibald
Wheeler asking, "But what makes the equations *fly*?"

In the virtuous circle of explanation, if you're not willing to count
anything as an explanation, then there is no explanation.

Again not so. An explanation of consciousness in terms of neurocognition is
both ineliminable and indispensable from a practical perspective. But left
at that, any explanatory relation with first person subjectivity can never
be more than an a posteriori attribution. After all, an explicit account in
terms of neurocognition is already causally sufficient in its own right.

IMO the so-called hard problem is an unfortunate artifact of a faulty
formulation of the problem area. Consequently comp doesn't try to 'solve'
it. Instead, it recasts the problem in essentially epistemological terms,
relying on the simplest assumptive ontology adequate to the task. To
succeed, it must also show that this manner of framing the problem is fully
compatible with an observable physics (and its theoretical ontology) such
that all aspects of the physical covariance remarked on above remain
consistent. All that said, what bears most heavily on its role in
explanation is to offer, a priori, an otherwise absent first-personal
account of the characteristic phenomena of subjectivity.

David