I am completely new to Google Groups, and so I hope you may understand if
my intrusion here is inappropriate or if I break any protocols in replying
to this topic. I came across this Group while searching for a paper.

I was very taken by Pierz’s first statement, as it reminded me of my own
agonies over the seeming incompatibility between (1) the block universe
where all events (some of which we perceive as “in the future”, depending
upon our motion relative to the events) are “frozen” into the space-time
fabric, and (2) quantum uncertainty about future events.

(In case any of the many physicists who do not accept the block universe
are reading this, perhaps I can refer them to “Proposal for an experiment
to determine the block universe” (http://arxiv.org/abs/1603.08959) in which
the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter will play a key role…)

Quantum uncertainty, of course, is fundamental in that there are events
whose outcomes cannot be predicted with 100 per cent certainty in this
universe.  Pierz is on the right track in saying that the Many-Worlds model
may address this uncertainty, changing the question to one of uncertainty
over which branch of the Many-Worlds tree one is in. (Of course, we inhabit
many “parallel” branches, although each version of us perceives ourself to
be unique.)

The difficulty with the Many Worlds Interpretation has always been that
branching is incompatible with the block-universe model. How can a block
universe have branches? The proposal of this paper –
http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.04247  (“Some remarks on the mathematical
structure of the multiverse”) and described more completely in
http://arxiv.org/abs/1609.04050  (“A discrete, finite multiverse”) – gets
round that difficulty. Each branch of the Many-Worlds tree comprises many
(but not infinitely many) “filaments”, each extending from the trunk to the
topmost twig.  Each one of these filaments is a block universe.  Events in
these universes tend to be similar towards the trunk and tend to diverge as
one proceeds up towards the thinner branches.

Of course, this hypothesis only makes sense if the multiverse is purely a
system of mathematical relations, in the Tegmark sense. (However, Tegmark’s
model is ultimately incompatible with the hypothesis: see, for instance,
the discussion in http://www.godel-universe.com/tegmark/).