On 29 Aug 2017, at 03:36, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 8/28/2017 3:47 AM, David Nyman wrote:
On 28 August 2017 at 01:49, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 8/27/2017 9:11 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

I think it is more pleasing when you can build the virtuous circle of explanations out of simple ideas that we hardly doubt at the start, like 2 * 12 = 24. And then, the point is that we have to do that, when we take Mechanism seriously enough. We are back to Pythagoras, but with the discovery of the universal machine and its quantum echo, and a mathematically precise theology, containing physics, making it testable.

But you're still trying to make arithmetic the really really primary; whereas from the virtuous circle perspective it is the product of sapient thought.

​But that explanation wouldn't really be virtuous in the relevant sense, would it? Arithmetic, seen merely as the product of thought, could hardly at the same time be asserted as the ontological basis of that very thought, could it? Unless your notion of the virtuous circle is something like Escher's hands drawing each other. Well, in a metaphorical sense I guess it could be seen like that.

Exactly.

The arithmetic that is the product of thought is certainly related to the arithmetic which ultimately may be assumed to give rise to it. That's an idea worth taking seriously, but perhaps not too literally.

Let's remember that 'primary' here means only what must be assumed, for the purpose of explanation, rather than derived. That's all. So physics, in this mode of explanation, isn't primary because it is to be derived or inferred, not asserted; arithmetic, on the other hand, is assumed without further justification.

But if the physics is necessary for the thought that see units and counting and arithmetic, then the physics can be taken as primary.

If physics is made necessary in a simpler theory, then physics is no more primary.

The idea of the virtuous circle is that there is no 'primary'. One may start at any point.

If we can start at any point, then the point using the less assumption is the best starting point.

Now, when we take the physicalist starting point, history illustrates that we usually hide the mind-body problem, and the spiritual questions, etc. Mechanism provides a testable theory of mind, physicalist theory of mind assume an identity thesis which is inconsistent with mechanism, and not so easy to make consistent with reasonable non-mechanist theories.

I might miss your point, but your attitude is a bit like saying to Darwin that we can start from the humans, and define dinosaurs by human myths. I am sure that you would like that, but then why you dislike the idea that the physical reality is reduce to something far simpler, conceptually, (the many universal numbers and their relations) that we can prove the existence to anyone not to shocked by the "revelation" than 2+2=4.

No doubt is put on any work done by physicists, and I remain an empiricist. (Even if the theory predicts that the physical reality is in "our head" we have still to test the theory in our head with what is observed by us and peers).

But physicalism is an hypothesis in theology, or metaphysics. Not in physics. And I am not sure there is any evidences for it, and I would say there are strong evidence against it, like its constant dismiss of the mind-body problem, but also the difficulties to define "primary matter", and to relate it to the consciousness and the first person verification of an inferred laws of physics. Yet, physics progress toward the solution (from Galilee, Einstein, Everett), and the theory of mind also, and we might one day close the bridge. Yet to keep the qualia of the theory of mind, at some point, the physicalness becomes a machine or number phenomenological construction, and I don't see how we could evade that objective ("Diophantine") idealism, with mechanism, or even without.

Bruno

Physics is not a problem. Physicalist metaphysics is a problem, when we assume Mechanism. But apparently, Mechanism explains it by showing that if true, the physical reality is in the head of all universal machine or number, and that can be tested.

But the universal machine can only have a "head" in a certain kind of physical world...on which will via evolution inevitably produce mind.

​Yes indeed and no problem with this. I suspect that the three of us may be quite near closing this argumentative circle (heaven forfend!)​. Let's remember that the thing starts with the rather widespread (though often only implicit) assumption that our mental processes ultimately depend on no more than some species of classical computation. The practicable feasibility of replacing biological brains and/or bodies wholly or in part with particular alternative prostheses is not really germane to the argument, but rather stands as a proxy for the essential claim of the theory. This primary assumption then entails that computation, or rather its irreducible basis in some tractable form, stands as our sole ontological assumption and that the appearance of a concrete reality will then depend on the development of a theory of knowledge based on the generic or universal machine as sole agent or subject. This further necessitates that the observable or phenomenological aspect of physics falls into the epistemological compartment of the theory, and that its unobservable or inferred component is treated as an observationally self-selected (and hence canonical) subset of the deeper computational ontology. That's it, I guess, in a nutshell. The rest is...well, it's interesting to discuss, apparently.

David