On 08 Sep 2017, at 22:38, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 9/8/2017 12:51 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I think Brent's point, with which I agree BTW, is that an observer can only be defined in relation to an external world -- consciousness requires a world to be conscious of!

Why? That seems magical thinking (in the frame of Digital Mechanism). You should explain what an external world is, and how it select the "real" computations. Are you sure we don't need blessed water?

An external world is what you and others with whom you communicate are conscious of.

Oh! Like God! In the church, when the quality of the sacred herb is good enough, in a finishing summer, in between the rain and the sun.

The image of Hubble can give that quasi divine feeling too. The recent image of Jupiter, taken by Juno, are fabulous.

It's what is not a dream (or a delusion).

What is not a dream are simple mathematical principle, whose truth emulate all dreams, and some cohere making place to long sharable histories, where she again incarnate itself and might even recognize itself and say hello to itself.

If an External World is defined by what we are not deluded too, then the reality might be a machine dreams structure, or more exactly its first person projection.

No problem with an external world or outer-god as long as it does not deny the inner god or first person.
And is not imposed as a dogma, and people can stay skeptical.