On 15 Sep 2017, at 01:55, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 9/14/2017 5:01 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 14 Sep 2017, at 13:22, ronaldheld wrote:

This should cause some discussion. Maybe belongs in the "is math real" thread, but that one is large??
               Ronald

What is your opinion?

The author believes that PI does not existed 100,000 years ago.

It looks like he believes that 100,000 existed 100,000 years ago, making hard for me to understand why PI would not exist, and in which sense, as PI is not a function of time.

That's just snark. There's nothing to indicate he thinks 100,000 existed 100,000yrs ago.

Fair enough.

Then the author seems to believe in a primary physical universe, and does not seem aware that this is an assumption too, and indeed arguably much stronger than assuming arithmetic.

He doesn't say anything about "primary" physical universe.

Which is part of the problem. That is why I said "it looks like ...", but all its exemples and quotes (Galilee, Wigner) are typically Aristotelian, and he mention the Aristotelian (anti-platonic) criteria of truth (seeing and knocking on the table!).

Then his conclusion: PI does not exist, which alludes to the fact that he has admitted that the table exists. In a discussion on what exists, this, without precision does not need the qualitficative "primary". It is just that in the Aristotelian Era people use matter for primitive matter, and existence for physical existence.

Every time someone "assumes" a physical universe, you claim they are assuming a "primary" physical universe.

"Assuming" leads almost to "primary", by default. "primary means "assumed" in the fundamental theory (up to some equivalence relation).

This doesn not follow at all. First, he isn't assuming a physical universe - he's observing it.

By asking if PI exists, he assumes (unclearly, OK) that he is observing something real, or "really real".

Of course, we never observe if something is primary, and our immediate perception just told us something about ourself. It is a consciousness state.

He is arguing that assuming arithmetic, and the rest of mathematics, is the stronger assumption.

Stronger than what? It is here that he is vague, and he forces the reader to at least temporarily, take the physical existence for granted. But "physical existence" if primary is either completely unclear (what is primary matter?) or invoke physical *laws*, which always are described as number relations. They are measurable numbers, but they assume arithmetic, at the least. If you assume classical mechanics and billiard balls, you get the Turing universality equivalent (with respecto the computable) with very elementary arithmetic (Robinson theory).

The main problem is that the author does not put its assumption on the table, and take for granted that existence is physical existence.

Observation is the antithesis of "taking for granted".

Right. But in metaphysics, like when discussing on PI existence, we cannot take for granted that what we observe is real. Just by taking the Dream Argument into account. He seems to be doing exactly that. You too, sometimes. But that is only an Aristotelian habits, and it beg the question when discussing on what exists.

The indexical form of computationalism that I study has the advantage to be utterly clear on this, once we fix the starting universal machinery to start with. Like

K exists
S exists
if x exists and y exists, then (x y) exists.

And the "meta-induction" principles, made explicit for the Gödel- Löbian "observer/dreamer", which says that nothing exists but what you can get from the axioms above.

So, what exists is clear: it is K, S, (K K), (K S), ... ((K (S K)) K), etc.

The minimal Turing universal belief is then for all x y ((K x) y) = x, and for all x, y, z, (((S x) y) z) = ((x z)(y z)).

In the first order logical specification of that theory, + the induction principle: P(K) & P(S) & for all x [P(x) & P(y) ->. P((x y))]

That gives Löbian combinators, they obey to G and G*. It can be shown that all self-referentially correct classical combinators, or number, or (Turing) machine, are Löbian.

Classical means they believe that classical logic is secure on the finite and computably enumerable things. It is not full blown classicalism like with set theoretical realism, or any "precise" mathematicalism.

That does not make sense with mechanism (probably), but to be franc, I am not sure this makes sense even without mechanism. He confuses also mathematical theory and mathematical reality, it seems.

What do *you* think? What would be your primary assumption?

My feeling is that it is a waste of time to guess what exists or not before saying what we are willing to assume as primitively true, or what is the metaphysical background accepted.

That's because you're a theologian at heart and want to start with a god.

In the fundamental studies we always start from a god, i.e. a Reality which explains the things simply and coherently. It is God in the sense: explains everything, and (incompleteness) we cannot prove (public rational justification) that there is a reality.

The god of computationalism is simple, in fact, if computationalism is true, then it is a secret that the universal machine is God.

Oops.

The fact is that G1* proves p <-> Bp <-> Bp & p <-> Bp & Dt <-> Bp & Dt & p.

But G1 proves none of those equivalences, and indeed, gives a different views of what God knows to be one thing.

The universal machine put some mess in the arithmetical Heaven, and its soul is teared apart by its eight (4 + 4*infinity actually) points of view possible.

The "God" of the Machines/Combinators/Numbers is more like a universal dreamer which lost itself in a labyrinth of dreams, yet mathematical structured, and which might be able to awaken, or to become lucid, to recognize itself, to say "hello" to itself, but also to lost itself again, and again. And like all gods with a quasi-name, the "God" of computationalism hides another God. The (arithmetical) Truth is *big* and complex, even the gods pay taxes, (in some sense)...

Note that no One can know that computationalism is true (that is why I insist on the conditional, and why I mention that the Yes-Doctor requires an act of faith).

Bruno

What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?

And it is this ...
Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably (Shri Aurobindo)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com .
<1709.03087.pdf>

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.