On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 10:34:13 AM UTC-7, John Clark wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> ​
>>> ​>> ​
>>> That's not the measurement problem, its determining if how and why
>>> observation effects things. ​
>>>

>> ​> ​
>> Not to split hairs, but why we get what we get in quantum measurements,
>> and how measurement outcomes come to be what they are, are the same problem
>> IMO.
>>

> The measurement problem is not the ability or inability to predict exact
> outcomes,
> ​ ​
> the measurement problem is defining what is
> ​ ​
> and
> ​ ​
> what
> ​ ​
> is not a measurement and
> ​ ​
> finding the
> ​ ​
> minimum properties a system
> ​ ​
> must
> ​ ​
> have to be an observer. Nondeterminism is not a problem and there is no
> inconsistency at all regardless of what turns out to be true
> ​;​
> if some effects have no cause and true randomness exists then that's just
> the way things are are
> ​ ​
> and
> ​ ​t
> here is no resulting paradox and no question that needs answering.
>
> ​
> The title of this thread is about the consistency of Quantum Mechanics,
> but far more important than QM is the ability of ANY theory to be
> compatible with experimental results, and one of those experiments shows
> the violation of Bell's Inequality. And that violation tells us that for
> ANY theory to be successful at explaining how the world works AT LEAST one
> of the following properties of that theory must be untrue:
>
> 1) Determinism
> 2) Locality
> 3) Realism
>
> Is Many Worlds deterministic? Yes in the sense that it just follows the
> wave function and that is deterministic, it's only the collapse of the wave
> function that is nondeterministic and that never happens in Manny Worlds.
>
> Is Many Worlds Local? Some say yes but I would say no because those other
> worlds are about as non-local as you can get, you can't get there even with
> infinite time on your side. But even if I'm wrong about locality Many
> Worlds would still be in the running for a successful theory because it is
> certainly not realistic.
>
> John K Clark

Why not just assume the wf collapses by an as-yet unknown process? Then,
unlike MWI, you have a theory within the realm of testable physics and no
need to explain where the energy comes from to create those other worlds --
uncountable in a simply slit experiment -- or what part of another world
needs to be created to do these other worldly measurements? Is collapse so
repugnant  (how so?) that one has to grasp at a cure that ostensibly is
hugely worse than the alleged disease? Inquiring minds want to know. AG