mana

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 8:57:41 PM UTC, John Clark wrote:

>  <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> ​>>​
>  As for collapse, it's easily seen in the double slit experiment. The
> electron, say, moves
> ​ ​
> through space as a wave -- which explains the interference effects due to
> splitting into
> ​t​
> wo waves, each emanating from one of the slits
>

> ​>> ​
> Then after it passes the double slit and that electron hits the
> photographic
> ​plate ​
> why does it always produce one and only one spot, not a smudge as one wave
> should and not a interference pattern as as 2 waves should?
>

> ​> ​
> It probably is a smudge, consistent with the UP.
>

> ​NO! The electron NEVER produces a smudge on that
> photographic
> ​ plate regardless ​of if it went through one slit or 2 slits or no slit
> at all.

Three strikes as follows: If it produced a mathematical point, it could
never be observed. It can't do what you claim without violating the UP.
Moreover, you fail to take into account the finite width of the electron.
AG

> It ALWAYS produces a localized spot unless there is information on which
> slot the electron went through.

It always produces a localized spot. Period. AG

> And even if there is which way information if that information is erased
> after it passed the slits but before it hits the photographic plate there
> will be a interference pattern. Think about that for a minute, its in the
> past, the electron either went through a slit or it didn't and if the arrow
> of time is real then there is nothing you can do about it now,
> but apparently you can. Many Worlds can explain this without the future
> changing the past, Copenhagen can't.

The interference effect is manifest in the distribution of the ensemble. I
don't what what your complaint is here. AG

>    > and is ALWAYS observed as localized in space, aka a PARTICLE.
>

> ​But that particle is NEVER localized at the two slits,
> ​ ​
> it's only localized at the photographic plate,
> ​ ​
> so "observation" made it localized. And as they can't say how observation
> does this, what qualifications it takes to be considered a legitimate
> observer, or even explain exactly what "observation" is
> ​,​
> Copenhagen might just as well say magic made it localized.
>

> ​> ​
> That is, the wave collapses
> ​ ​
> into a particle!
>

> ​And it does this because of a thing called "observation" aka magic.​
>

> ​> ​
> There is no other reasonable interpretation of results of the double slit
> experiment,
>

> ​There are no reasonable interpretations of the
>  double slit experiment
> ​!​ Nature is nuts, you may not like it but that's the way it is.
>
> ​>> ​
> So tell me exactly what this *observer* thing is.   Exactly what is it
> about observation that allows it to collapse the wave particle?
>

> ​>​
> Dunno.
>

> ​I've noticed. ​

There's a huge difference between our approach to this problem. I know what
I don't know. You don't know what you don't know.  AG

> ​> ​
> But using MWI without collapse, why do we get some particular value and
> not others?
>

> ​A version of John Clark sees that particle have every value that doesn't
> violate the laws of physics. T
> he reason any particular John Clark sees only one value is because when
> the particle splits at the 2 slits John Clark splits too.​
>

> ​>> ​
> those infinite number of observers are indistinguishable from only one,
> and that's pretty simple.
>

> ​> ​
> As simple as a woman who gives birth to twins, millions of times over and
> then some?
>

> ​I have no idea what that question means, but I do know that a billion or
> even a infinite number of identical universes is
> indistinguishable from only one, both objectively and subjectively.

I meant to illustrate that you have no clue as to what you don't know, even
though I have laid it out numerous.times. What you call "pretty simple" is
as much or more of a mystery than the collapse. You have invoked a form of
magic based on a misguided interpretation of the wf, but you fail to see
that magic. AG

> ​
>

> ​>> ​
> Amongst the "Yes, I think MWI is true" crowd listed are Stephen Hawking
> and Nobel Laureates Murray Gell-Mann andRichard Feynman. Gell-Mann and
> Hawking recorded reservations with the name "many-worlds", but not with the
> theory's content. Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg is also mentioned as a
> many-worlder "
>

> ​> ​
> Your source is fact-challenged. Weinberg thinks MULTIVERSE may have merit,
> but NOT the MWI,
>

> ​Then give me some facts! Where does Weinberg say that?

Google "Steven Weinberg, Many Worlds "repellent". If you can't find it, let
me know. AG

> And how can you have a multiverse without many worlds or many worlds
> without a multiverse? ​

You keep making the same error as Brent pointed out earlier -- and as I
have numerous times. The Multiverse of String theory, aka the Landscape,
arises in a totally different context and theory than the MW of the MWI. AG