On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 12:21:27 AM UTC, Brent wrote:

> On 12/16/2017 2:59 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>
> There's a problem applying SR in this situation because neither the ground
> or orbiting clock is an inertial frame.AG
>

> An orbiting clock is in an inertial frame.  An inertial frame is just one
> in which no forces are acting (and gravity is not a force) so that it moves
> with constant momentum along a geodesic.  Although it's convenient for
> engineering calculations, from a fundamental veiwpoint there is no separate
> special relativity and general relativity and no separate clock
> corrections.  General relativity is just special relativity in curved
> spacetime.  So clocks measure the 4-space interval along their path -
> whether that path is geodesic (i.e. inertial) or accelerated.

*Interesting way to look at it. So free falling in a gravity field is an
extension of SR. But the thing I find puzzling is that in GR the curvature
of space-time is caused by the presence of mass, yet I can draw the path of
an accelerated body as necessarily a curve in a space-time diagram. I am
having trouble resolving these different sources of curvature. AG*