On 12/18/2017 6:54 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 2:36:32 AM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

    On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 8:48:08 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

        On 12/18/2017 12:19 AM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

        On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 10:39:18 PM UTC,
        agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

            On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 12:21:27 AM UTC, Brent
            wrote:

                On 12/16/2017 2:59 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
                There's a problem applying SR in this situation
                because neither the ground or orbiting clock is an
                inertial frame.AG

                An orbiting clock is in an inertial frame. An
                inertial frame is just one in which no forces are
                acting (and gravity is not a force) so that it moves
                with constant momentum along a geodesic.  Although
                it's convenient for engineering calculations, from a
                fundamental veiwpoint there is no separate special
                relativity and general relativity and no separate
                clock corrections.  General is just special
                relativity in curved spacetime.  So clocks measure
                the 4-space interval along their path - whether that
                path is geodesic (i.e. inertial) or accelerated.

            *Interesting way to look at it. So free falling in a
            gravity field is an extension of SR. But the thing I find
            puzzling is that in GR the curvature of space-time is
            caused by the presence of mass, yet I can draw the path
            of an accelerated body as _necessarily_ a curve in a
            space-time diagram. I am having trouble resolving these
            different sources of curvature. AG*

        *Einstein must have figured that since gravity produces an
        acceleration field, and accelerating test particles move
        along curved paths in space-time, he could replace
        acceleration by inertial paths in a space-time curved by the
        presence of mass-energy. But now, when comparing test
        particles moving along different paths in space-time, he
        couldn't use the Lorentz transformation because the relative
        velocities of the frames are not necessarily constant. So how
        did he propose to find the correct transformation equations,
        and what are they? And what were the laws of physics, in this
        case gravity, that had to be invariant? AG*

        What's invariant is the measure along a path in spacetime -
        it's what an ideal clock measures.  The relation between the
        measure along two different paths obviously depends on the
        lumpiness of the spacetime through which they travel.  It's as
        if I headed north thru the Sierras while you sailed up the
        coast.  There's no simple relation between our path lengths
        even if we travel between the same two points.

    *So what's invariant along along two paths with the same
    endpoints? Not clear from what you write. But whatever it is, why
    is that deemed to be invariant? Shouldn't it be the laws of
    physics, in this case gravity, and hence the field equations? AG *

*I think you mean the dS^2 value is invariant along two paths with the same endpoints, but not the path length of the spatial coordinates. Correct? *

Right.*

*
*But why is this particular invariant so important, and perhaps used as a guide to Einstein? AG*

Invariants are always the important things in physics because they are what we can have intersubjective agreement on.

Brent

        The Lorentz transformation is just the simple limiting case of
        flat, smooth spacetime.  It's useful because in a sufficiently
        small local region spacetime is going to be flat and smooth.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.