On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 8:36:29 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

> On 12/17/2017 2:39 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>

> On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 12:21:27 AM UTC, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 12/16/2017 2:59 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> There's a problem applying SR in this situation because neither the
>> ground or orbiting clock is an inertial frame.AG
>>

>> An orbiting clock is in an inertial frame.  An inertial frame is just one
>> in which no forces are acting (and gravity is not a force) so that it moves
>> with constant momentum along a geodesic.  Although it's convenient for
>> engineering calculations, from a fundamental veiwpoint there is no separate
>> special relativity and general relativity and no separate clock
>> corrections.  General relativity is just special relativity in curved
>> spacetime.  So clocks measure the 4-space interval along their path -
>> whether that path is geodesic (i.e. inertial) or accelerated.
>>

> *Interesting way to look at it. So free falling in a gravity field is an
> extension of SR. But the thing I find puzzling is that in GR the curvature
> of space-time is caused by the presence of mass, yet I can draw the path of
> an accelerated body as necessarily a curve in a space-time diagram. I am
> having trouble resolving these different sources of curvature. AG*
>

> An accelerated body, i.e. one a force is acting on (a rocket, you standing
> on the ground) is following a curved path that is more curved than the
> "straightest" path.  I put "straightest" in scare quotes because in the
> curved spacetime the "straight" path is a geodesic which is still
> curved...it's just the straightest possible path in the given spacetime.
>
> It is not true that "I can draw the path of an accelerated body as
> necessarily a curve in a space-time diagram".

*I was referring to flat space-time, for example as a two dimensional
representation using x and t coordinates. If one models an accelerating
particle, it necessarily moves on a curved path. So I think this is very
suggestive; that one can substitute acceleration for space-time curvature
induced by gravity or mass-energy, insofar as gravity produces an
acceleration field. AG *