On 23 December 2017 at 02:13, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
>  construction of
> ​a concrete, substantial
>  reality
> ​​
> lead either to solipsism or the conclusion that
> ​the observed​
> consistencies
>  are
>  accidental?
>

> It doesn't.  I said that if you *reject *the existence of a
> mind-independent external world, then you will be driven to solipism or to
> some accidental correlation with other minds who report things consistent
> with your perception (aka the white rabbit problem).
>
> To say that such constructions are dependent on a mind is not at all to
> say that they are dependent on one mind alone, or indeed that minds as a
> class are independent of anything beyond themselves. The concept rules out
> neither a plurality of such constructions nor their participation in a
> common causal nexus. My point is rather that this very causal nexus - ex
> hypothesi the entire reductionist project - need not (indeed must not)
> assume that such 'emergent' levels of description amount in any way to
> superadded causal influences. One might imagine that an omniscient
> 'observer', in apprehending the entire causal mechanism at its roots, as it
> were, would not fail to comprehend any aspect of its evolution, without
> reference to any notion of emergence whatsoever.
>
> I think our disagreement centres, as ever, on different uses of the notion
> of an ontology. I'm perfectly willing to agree with you that we are at
> liberty to use the term promiscuously depending on context.
>

> No doubt.  My slogan is, "Epistemology precedes ontology."  You want to
> count experiences as elements of ontology, but I think of them as bits of
> knowledge, stuff we know.  From this stuff we know we infer/invent models
> of what exists, which include ontologies.
>
> Indeed this is an indispensable aid to comprehension across a wide range
> of fields. But in the present case we must be particularly careful to
> eliminate all our tacitly projected 'emergent' interpretations. Otherwise
> the danger is that we shall be arguing in a vicious, rather than a
> virtuous, circle. And the fundamental premise of reductionism is that -
> absent any further interpretation - the evolution of physical states is an
> entirely bottom-up process.
>

> I think that's just saying "mind-independent" in different words.
> Physics' story of the world is not exactly all "bottom up".  It includes
> the Past Hypothesis and, in most interpretations, randomness.  Materialism,
> physicalism, and reductionism are not all exactly the same thing.
>
> Bottom up all the way down, if you want a slogan. And yet somehow that
> bottom up process is tightly implicated in the construction of 'emergent'
> phenomenal realities that, once apprehended, somehow resist reduction to
> their components.
>

> I don't know what that means.  Could you be more explicit and give and

​I​
've been pondering how to respond to your question. We've been round the
block on this on numerous occasions. I get the impression that ​it isn't so
much ​that you don't already understand​ what I'm getting at​, but rather
that you get an opportunity of rejecting ​w​​hat I suggest ​in favour of
your preferred alternative. However, as I've said before, an alternative
argument isn't quite the same ​thing ​as a ​valid ​counter​-​argument. My
own persistence in pursuing this line is not, as you sometimes appear to
think, some sort of dogmatic adherence to computationalism, far less an
attachment to mystery​ per se​. It's just that I continue to see a
distinction where you do not, or perhaps find merely trivial​, or somehow
intractable in any terms you would find acceptable​. Anyway, all that said,
I'll attempt a general characterisation of irreducibility in the context of
a theory of mind, although it essentially recapitulates my explication of
the Dream Argument, which you ​previously ​were kind enough to compliment.

​So, before you can have a theory of mind, you need to have a theory of a
mental agent, or knower. Minds are distinct from brains in that their field
of application is knowledge rather than information or
​physical ​
action. To understand a brain is to understand how a physical system
translates action received as input into action emitted as output. Distinct
from this, a mind requires to be understood in terms of a theory of ​a
​knowledgeable agent​: i.e. agency
​as
​actionable ​
​knowledge within and in terms of ​
a distinguishable phenomenal reality
​ in which the agent is embedded​
​. This in turn is to say a reality that
​ is distinguishable from, and ​
fails of explicit characterisation
​​
in
​,​
strictly reductive terms​, although its is implied
​,​
or more strongly
​,​
entailed by a hierarchy of reductive theories​ of information, mechanism
and physical action.​

In bald terms, it differentiates the irreducibility of the phenomenology of
perception *in its own terms* as distinct from those of any reductive
counterpart (e.g. 'neural correlates') with which it may be associated. ​
​Such a theory is explicitly differentiated from
​any reductive theory

​whatsoever (i.e. it is a 'vaccine' against the otherwise completed project
of reductionism) ​
although it cannot
​,​
​and must not ​attempt to,
evade the necessity of seamless entanglement with precisely corresponding
​reductive ​
theories of information, mechanism and physical action, without which it
would literally be uninformed, inconsistent, disabled and indeed
disembodied.

​Does this help at all?

David
​