On 31 Dec 2017, at 19:50, 'scerir' via Everything List wrote:

Il 31 dicembre 2017 alle 17.51 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> ha scritto:

On 28 Dec 2017, at 08:50, 'scerir' via Everything List wrote:

Il 27 dicembre 2017 alle 23.24 Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net>
ha scritto:

So you think Bruno's theory fails because spacetime is discrete?

According to Deutsch "Every finitely realizable physical system can
be perfectly simulated by a universal model computing machine
operating by finite means." (It is the Church-Turing-Deutsch
principle, I guess).

Not at all. The computability notion of Church, Turing does not rely
on anything physical. You can define the notion of universal machine
in pure number theory.

Deutsch thesis is a completely different thesis, and to relate them
needs to understand first how physics emerge from numbers, or to
invoke some deity.

I'm not so familiar with the Church-Turing-Deutsch principle and the different meanings (or conceptual roots) of this principle. I must re-read something.

http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/interesting-problems-the-church-turing-deutsch-principle/

https://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall04/cos576/papers/deutsch85.pdf

https://philpapers.org/rec/DEUPPA

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01886521

Whether space-time is a finitely realizable physical system franklyI do not know. Feynman wrote "It always bothers me that according to
the laws as we understand them today, it takes a computing machine
an infinite number of logical operations to figure out what goes on
in no matter how tiny a region of space, and no matter how tiny a
region of time. How can all that be going on in that tiny space? Why
should it take an infinite amount of logic to figure out what one
tiny piece of space/time is going to do? So I have often made the
hypothesis ultimately physics will not require a mathematical
statement, that in the end the machinery will be revealed and the
laws will turn out to be simple, like the chequer board with all its
apparent complexities. But this is just speculation." (The Character
of Physical Law - Ch. 2)

You assume a metaphysical physical reality. With computationalism,
that is quite premature. There are no evidence, and it makes the mind-
body problem insoluble in any weak mechanist theory.

Then the universal machine offers a solution on a plate already, and
we can test it.

Bruno

Yes, I still assume physical reality, and (quantum) systems as carriers of finite quantities of informations (yes, information is a difficult concept, especially in strange situations like entanglement swapping, and the like) . I may be wrong, of course.

You might be right, also. But then the computationalist theory of mind is false. The evidences side more with mechanism, but without the evidence for the quantum reality, I would plausibly think that Mechanism is not really plausible. It is really Gödel + the empirical quantum reality which confirms Mecahnism, and this in its most startling aspects. But my point is that this is testable. If primary matter exists, we will know it.

Bruno

s.

However, gamma ray propagation from distant supernova show no
dispersion, which implies that spacetime is smooth to severl orders
of
magnitude below the Planck scale.

But either way the physics a cannot be compared to Bruno's theory
because his theory makes not definite prediction even about the
existence of spacetime.

Brent