On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 2:32:06 PM UTC-6, telmo_menezes wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:17 PM, Lawrence Crowell
> <goldenfield...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > You would have to replicate then not only the dynamics of neurons, but
> every
> > biomolecule in the neurons, and don't forget about the oligoastrocytes
> and
> > other glial cells. Many enzymes for instance to multi-state systems, say
> in
> > a simple case where a single amino acid residue of phosphorylated or
> > unphosphorylated, and in effect are binary switching units. To then make
> > this work you now need to have the brain states mapped out down to the
> > molecular level, and further to have their combinatorial relationships
> > mapped. Biomolecules also behave in water, so you have to model all the
> > water molecules. Given the brain has around 10^{25} or a few moles of
> > molecules the number of possible combinations might be on the order of
> > 10^{10^{25}} this is a daunting task. Also your computer has to
> accurately
> > encode the dynamics of molecules -- down to the quantum mechanics of
> their
> > bonds.
> >
> > This is another way of saying that biological systems, even that of a
> basic
> > prokaryote, are beyond our current abilities to simulate. You can't just
> > hand wave away the enormous problems with just simulating a bacillus,
> let
> > alone something like the brain. Now of course one can do some
> simulations to
> > learn about the brain in a model system, but this is far from mapping a
> > brain and its conscious state into a computer.
>
> Well maybe, but this is just you guessing.
> Nobody knows the necessary level of detail.
>
> Telmo.

Take LSD or psilocybin mushrooms and what enters the brain are chemical
compounds that interact with neural ligand gates. The effect is a change in
the perception of consciousness. Then if we load coarse grained brain
states into a computer that ignores lots of fine grained detail, will that
result in something different? Hell yeah! The idea one could set up a
computer neural network, upload some data file from a brain scan and that
this would be a completely conscious person is frankly absurd.

LC