From: *'scerir' via Everything List* <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>>

K. Camilleri wrote a very long paper about 'Constructing the Myth of the Copenhagen Interpretation'. But there are many **different** versions on-line.

https://philpapers.org/rec/CAMCTM <https://philpapers.org/rec/CAMCTM>

https://tinyurl.com/y9a9odek

He points out that the subjectivist view of the role of the observer (consciousness) is a 'misconception' of the Copenhagen Interpretation.

'Although Heisenberg did sometimes speak of a subjective element in quantum physics, this should not be taken to mean that the consciousness of the ‘observer’ plays a crucial roe lint eh measurement interaction. In Physics and Philosophy in 1958, Heisenberg argued that “the transition from the ‘possible’ to the ‘actual’ takes place during the act of observation” but this transition occurs “applies to the physical, not the psychical act of observation”. Only once the “interaction of the object with the measuring device” has taken place can we speak of the actualization, but here he was careful to point out that “it is not connected with the act of registration of the result, by the mind of observer” (Heisenberg, 1958, p. 54).'

'So where did this view come from? And how did this view come to be associated with the likes of Bohr and Heisenberg? Scholars have often traced this view to von Neumann’s analysis of measurement in his Mathematische Grundlagen der Quantenmechanik published in 1932 (von Neumann, 1955). Whereas in Bohr’s complementarity, the measurement device is described using the concepts of classical physics, and not according to the laws of quantum mechanics, in von Neumann’s presentation, the measurement device is given a quantum-mechanical treatment (Bub, 1995). According to von Neumann’s formal treatment of the problem, when we observe a quantum system, there is an instantaneous change of the wave function in Hilbert space – it collapses – a process which is not described by the Schrödinger equation. Precisely what von Neumann’s philosophical views on this matter were is more difficult to judge, though as Becker and Gavroglou have observed there is no evidence of him endorsing a realist view of the wave function, nor does he make any explicit reference to the need to introduce the consciousness of the observer in the measuring chain (Becker, 2004; Gavroglou, 1995, p. 171).Rather it was the 1939 monograph La Théorie de l’Observation en Méchanique Quantique by London and Bauer which we find the first explicit mention of the claim that the reduction of the wave function was the result of the conscious activity of the human mind (French, 2002).'

etc etc

Interesting..... I have often thought that Bohr and Heisenberg were not quite the monsters of positivism that they are often painted as these days. In fact, I would suggest that the prevalence of decoherence means that a case can be made that everything is, in practice, classical, and that the quantum only shows itself reluctantly in the small and the isolated. Whether that means that the classical is prior -- essential for understanding the quantum -- is something that can be argued about. But I do not think that such an idea is entirely silly, and nor can it just be dismissed out-of-hand.

The world we know and experience is classical, after all. Else we, as classical beings, could not experience it!

Bruce