On 4/28/2018 6:43 PM, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 1:16:37 AM UTC, Lawrence Crowell wrote:

    On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 6:04:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

        From: <agrays...@gmail.com>
        On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:33:58 PM UTC, Brent wrote:

            On 4/28/2018 9:39 AM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
            > Is it a settled issue whether measurements in QM are
            strictly
            > irreversible,

            There are interactions that, if you did not arrange that
            they be erased,
            would constitute measurements.  Whether you say they were
            measurements
            and then got erased or they are not measurments because
            they didn't
            produce an irreversible record is a phlosophical or
            semantic question.

            > that is irreversible in principle, or just
            statistically irreversible,
            > that is, reversible but with infinitesimal probability?
            TIA,

            The equations are all reversible so you might say they
            are reversible
            with infinitesimal probability...but in most cases that
            reversal would
            mean catching and reversing photons that are already on
            their way
            outbound beyond the orbit of the Moon.

            Brent

        Are there any measurements that can't be reversed regardless
        of the
        fact that the equations of physics are time reversible? I
        could swear,
        and I DO, that Bruce demonstrated such a case for spin 1/2
        particles
        measured by SG device.  AG

        I vaguely remember that from several years ago. As I recall,
        it was in response to a claim by Vic that time reversibility
        of the equations meant that if you measured the x-spin of a
        silver atom, the you could reverse the result, say spin-up,
        and recover the initial state. That is certainly impossible,
        since that does not take into account the phases associated
        with the alternative result -- MWI is reversible only if you
        reverse all the worlds.

        Besides, decoherence means that measurement resulting in
        classical pointer-state outcomes are not reversible, even in
        principle, because of the loss of IR photons which are never
        recoverable. Time reversal invariance of the equations does
        not necessarily mean that you can actually reverse things in
        practice.

        Bruce

    In order to reverse a quantum system you must have the entire wave
    function. After a measurement the states are in decoherent sets,
    and you the observer "pull the marble out of the bag" and get your
    result. You would have to have access to the entire decoherent set
    and the prior superposition or entanglement phases of these
    states. Without that you can't back out squat. In fact if you have
    computed knowledge of the decoherent sets of states you still
    can't do anything without knowing their pre-measurement phases.
    This is the sort of thing soft measurements allow you to do, at
    least up to a point. The Schrodinger equation with time reversal
    invariance, with Wigner's requirement of complex conjugation of
    the energy operator

    iħ∂/∂t → i^*ħ∂/∂(-t) = iħ∂/∂t,

    which gives time reversal  invariance. Entanglement phases evolve
    through systems accordingly, but if the reservoir of states is
    extremely large the Poincare recurrence time may be longer than
    the duration of the universe. In effect if this phase is lost the
    practical situation is there is a collapse or loss of quantum
    information in decoherence sets.

    LC

*
Aren't you describing what I've referred to as "statistical irreversibiity", or the PRACTICAL inability to reverse a measurement, in contrast to "irreversible in principle", by which I mean the absolute impossibility of reversal? AG

Concerning the pre-measurement phases of the states comprising the superposition, aren't they irrelevant for calculating probabilities? *

No, in general they're not irrelevant for calculating probabilities.  It's their interference that causes you to be here and not there, causes interference fringes, causes your brain state that saw UP to be orthogonal to your brain state that saw DOWN.

Brent

*If so, why are they needed to reverse any measurement? That is, if you can only recover the original wf up to phase angles and get the same probabilities, why are the phases important for reversal of measurements? AG *
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.