> On 7 Jun 2018, at 19:40, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 10:23 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> ​> ​I know perfectly well what the personal pronoun “you” will mean, as its
> meaning will not change.
>
> Of course it will change. Today "you" means the man who is currently
> experiencing H, tomorrow "you" means the man who is currently experiencing W
> and remembers experiencing H yesterday; and tomorrow "you" also means the man
> who is currently experiencing M and remembers experiencing H yesterday. And
> please don't rebut with your standard "from the 1p" rubber stamp reply unless
> it is made clear which "THE 1p" is being referred to.

That is simply not true. The first person “I” means always the H-guy, even when
his experience differentiates into two histories. Or you cannot say “I will
survive with an artificial brain”, and computationalism is made senseless.

> ​>> ​so which ONE is Mr. You??
>
> ​> ​If I could answer that question, there would, of course, no be any first
> person indeterminacy.
>
> ​If Bruno can not answer that question then Bruno has absolutely no business
> ever using the word "you" in any thought experiment and all the grand
> sounding term "first person indeterminacy​" means is that gibberish questions
> have no answers.   ​

No, you are only setting up a trap. If I could answer your question in one
word, then and only then the first person indeterminacy would be gibberish.
Well tried!

?

>  ​but there is not a 100% chance the H-guy will see W​. This is logic?​

?

I explain this later … Let us see.

> ​> ​because if that is the prediction made in Helsinki, as asked, it will be
> refuted by the M-guy.
>
> ​What the M-guy says or doesn't say is irrelevant.

Why?

> ​If the W-guy is the H-guy and the W-guy sees W then that's the end of the
> story, the H guy will see W with absolute certainty.

Oh, just to evacuate the counter-example. That is not valid.

> Yes the H-guy is no longer unique ​but that is to be expected because that's
> what "being copied" means.​

But that enforce you to listen to the M-guy. Simply enough.

> ​> ​We want the prediction be correct for both copies
>
> ​What you want is contradictory, its ridiculous!

Obviously not. If the H-guy, when still in H, predicts W v M, that prediction
is verified, when all the others are contradicted by one of the copies, if not
both.

> If they are dropped into different environments, like in different cities,
> then they can't have the same fate so no one prediction can be correct about
> what will happen to both of them; and that is all utterly predictable. So
> where is the indeterminacy?

It is on the first person that the H-guy will live *from its first person point
of view*.

> The only grand mystery in all this is what does the word "you" mean when
> Bruno asks "What one and only one city will YOU see after YOU step out of a
> YOU duplicating machine?”

The “you” is an indexical. If you were genuinely interested, you would study
the translation in arithmetic. The 3-you is mathematically defined with
Kleene’s second recursion theorem, and the 1p-you is defined with applying
Theaetus’s definition on it.

Bruno