On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 12:53:29 AM UTC, John Clark wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 7:54 PM, <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> *> If you accept Inflation, the universe is many orders of magnitude
>> larger than what we can observe. How much larger depends on the model of
>> Inflation one applies. However, AFAIK, there's no persuasive theory that
>> claims its extent in space or time is INFINITE.*
>

> During inflation the expansion of the universe was exponential which means
> it had a fixed doubling time, in this case every 10^-37 seconds the
> diameter of the universe doubled. In 10^-35 seconds it doubled a hundred
> times and it probably continued doubling for much longer than 10^-35
> seconds.But why did it ever end?
>
> According to Andrei Linde inflation never did end. Alan Guth, the inventor
> of inflation, postulated an inflation field that decayed away in a process
> somewhat analogous to radioactive half life, and after the decay the
> universe expanded at a much much much more leisurely pace. But then Linde
> proved that for Guth's idea to work the inflation field had to expand
> faster than it decayed, Linde called it "Eternal Inflation". Linde showed
> that for every volume in which the inflation field decays away 2 other
> volumes don't decay. So one universe becomes 3, the field decays in one
> universe but not in the other 2, then both of those two universes splits in
> 3 again and the inflation field decays away in two of them but doesn't
> decay in the other 4.  And it goes on like this forever creating a
> multiverse.
>
> *​>​I haven't delved deeply into this issue. I tend to the position that
>> the universe MIGHT be infinite in space and time, but NOT our local bubble,
>> which I believe is finite. AG*
>

> Our observable universe is not only finite its getting smaller due to the
> accelerating expansion of space. In a trillion years or so it will consist
> of Milkdromeda (the combined Milky Way and Andromeda galaxy) and that's it
> because everything else will be moving away from us faster than light and
> thus be unobservable
> ​.

*When I referred to "our local bubble", I meant our entire universe, not
just the observable region which is shrinking. Even with Eternal Inflation,
our local bubble remains finite if it began at some TIME in the past; that
is, if its age if finite. For it to be infinite, I would think it couldn't
have a beginning. AG *