On 6/21/2018 1:49 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 19 Jun 2018, at 07:24, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 6/18/2018 4:33 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 12:01 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 6/17/2018 2:24 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Sunday, June 17, 2018, <agrayson2...@gmail.com
    <mailto:agrayson2...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 12:29:35 PM UTC, Jason wrote:

            On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 6:26 AM, <agrays...@gmail.com>
            wrote:

                On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 10:15:05 AM UTC, Jason
                wrote:

                    On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 12:12 AM,
                    <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:

                        * why do you prefer the MWI compared to the
                        Transactional Interpretation? I see both as
                        absurd. so I prefer to assume the wf is
                        just epistemic, and/or that we have some
                        holes in the CI which have yet to be
                        resolved. AG *
--

                    1. It's the simplest theory: "MWI" is just the
                    Schrodinger equation, nothing else. (it doesn't

                    2. It explains more while assuming less (it
                    explains the appearance of collapse, without
                    having to assume it, thus is preferred by
                    Occam's razor)

                    3. Like every other successful physical theory,
                    it is linear, reversible (time-symmetric),
                    continuous, deterministic and does not require
                    faster than light influences nor retrocausalities

                    4. Unlike single-universe or epistemic
                    interpretations, "WF is real" with MWI is the
                    only way we know how to explain the functioning
                    of quantum computers (now up to 51 qubits)

                    5. Unlike copenhagen-type theories, it
                    attributes no special physical abilities to
                    observers or measurement devices

                    6. Most of all, theories of everything that
                    assume a reality containing all possible
                    observers and observations lead directly to
                    laws/postulates of quantum mechanics (see
                    Russell Standish's Theory of Nothing
                    <http://www.hpcoders.com.au/theory-of-nothing.pdf>,
                    Chapter 7 and Appendix D).

                    Given #6, we should revise our view. It is not
                    MWI and QM that should convince us of many
                    worlds, but rather the assumption of many
                    worlds (an infinite and infinitely varied
                    reality) that gives us, and */explains /*all
                    the weirdness of QM. This should overwhelmingly
                    convince us of MWI-type everything theories
                    over any single-universe interpretation of
                    quantum mechanics, which is not only absurd,
                    but completely devoid of explanation. With the
                    assumption of a large reality, QM is made
                    explainable and understandable: as a theory of
                    observation within an infinite reality.

                    Jason

                *
                You forgot #7. It asserts multiple, even infinite
                copies of an observer, replete with memories, are
                created when an observer does a simple quantum
                experiment. So IMO the alleged "cure" is immensely
                worse than the disease, CI, that is, just plain
                idiotic. AG *

            There are many atoms, many planets, many solar systems,
            many galaxies, many Hubble volumes, and it is believed
            many universes.  On what basis are you so certain there
            aren't many histories? (That is, other states in the
            wave function that are predicted to be there by our
            well established scientific theories, but which the
            theory explains we cannot see or interact with except
            in very limited controlled manners)?
            If you find MWI distasteful you might prefer to think
            of it as the many-minds interpretation as described by
            Heinz-Dieter Zeh, or the "zero-universe interpretation"
            as explained by Ron Garrett:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaecUuEqfc
            <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaecUuEqfc>

            I think you are hung up on the "creation", I think it
            is conceptually easier to grasp under the understanding
            that it is all already there.  If you look at the
            homepage of Wei Dai (who founded this e-mailing list
            <http://www.weidai.com/everything.html> 20 years ago)
            he outlines what he calls "a very simple interpretation
            of quantum mechanics
            <http://www.weidai.com/qm-interpretation.txt>" which is
            basically this: all the states are already there.

        *Sounds like Super-Determinism proposed by t'Hooft, and
        referenced yesterday by Brent, which proposes the universe
        knows beforehand what kind of experiment Joe the Plumber
        will perform. Too ridiculous for my tastes, and of course
        untestable. IMO, one of the "achievements" of quantum
        theory is to make otherwise intelligent persons totally
        gullible in what they believe as plausible.  AG*

    I agree with you about super derterminism being too ridiculous
    to believe. But super derterminism is a different animal from
    "block time". Super derterminism is the idea that the universe
    conspires against all experimenters and knows what they will
    measure before they measure it, and chooses values they will
    measure to make things work out.  It's reminiscent of Descartes
    evil demon. It requires an evil God.

    You've anthropomorphized the universe.  The universe doesn't
    conspire or do anything, it just is.  Experimenters are just
    physical systems (as they are in MWI) so it's not strange that
    in a deterministic theory (and MWI claims to be deterministic)
    their actions should also be determined.

See my reply on this regarding Pi and the Stock Market.  There is a major gulf between determinism and super determinism. Super determinism requires "something operating behind the scenes to fool us" either at the time of the universe's creation or with the creation of each photon pair.

So what.   That's what determinism means.  It means EVERYTHING IS DETERMINED BY THE PAST.

Read t'Hooft.

Regular determinism doesn't.

Define "regular" determinism.

Everything is determined.
Super-determinisme: everything is determined to make you belief in one world with very strange correlation looking like FTL action at a distance.

There's no logical or empirical difference, only your attitude that you're being fooled.

Brent

I have no problem with determinism (and it is compatible with free-will). Super-determinisme is not a better explanation than “God made it that way, don’t try to understand”.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.