From: *Bruno Marchal* <marc...@ulb.ac.be <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>>
On 5 Jul 2018, at 17:20, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com <mailto:goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>> wrote:

John Bell proved that any objective theory giving experimental predictions identical to those of quantum theory is necessarily nonlocal.

Assuming a unique reality. I prefer the term  “inseparable”, because “non-locality” is often interpreted the existence of FTL influence (even if they cannot be used to transmit information), but such FTL influence seems to me suspicious. Some might disagree, but I have not yet seen a proof that any FTL subsists when we abandon the collapse postulate. Bell assumes that experiments gives univocal results.

You might not have seen a proof that non-locality remains when we abandon the collapse postulate, but that does not mean that no such proof can be given.

Consider the following scenario. Alice and Bob are given a large number of entangled pairs, which they measure when they are at large spacelike separation. Each measurement is made at some angle, and gives a '1' for 'up' or 'passed', and '0' for the opposite result. Both record the sequence of such results that they obtain in their individual lab books, together with the corresponding polarizer orientations. Their lab books then contain a random sequence of say N, '1's and '0's. There are 2^N possible such sequences in the many-worlds case, but since each observer keeps the same lab book for the whole sequence, each series of measurements is necessarily made in the same one world. Basically, this is because the worlds are disjoint, and the observers and/or lab books cannot move between worlds.

When Alice and Bob meet up at the end of the run of N trials, they take their lab books with them. When they meet they are clearly in the same Everettian branch. And since their lab books cannot have jumped between branches, the sequence of results that they each bring must also have all been recorded in this same one branch. So when they come to use their data to calculate the correlations between the measurements on their individual particles of the entangled pairs, they are in exactly the same situation as they would be if they had assumed a collapse model from the outset. The correlations they observe are necessarily single-world correlations. So the conditions of Bell's theorem are exactly satisfied, and since the correlations violate the Bell inequalities, their experiment has demonstrated the impossibility of a local hidden variable account. They have demonstrated that the quantum correlations require non-locality, even with Everett's many-worlds, just as Bell proved.

And all this happens whether they assume many-worlds or a collapse model.

Bruce