On Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 3:04:45 PM UTC, Jason wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 1:44 PM <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

>>> No it's something you can already buy and use today:
>>>

>>> https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/10/ibm-passes-major-milestone-with-20-and-50-qubit-quantum-computers-as-a-service/
>>>
>>> Jason
>>>

>> *If you're referring to my critique of the standard quantum
>> interpretation of the superposition of states -- that a system in a
>> superposition is in ALL component states SIMULTANEOUSLY -- show me where
>> that INTERPRETATION is used in quantum computers.*
>>

> It's in the definition of a qubit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qubit

*But that's not nearly enough. You have to show where the assumption is
applied. In the case of standard QM, the superposition is written as a sum
of eigenstates, which are mutually orthogonal. So, as I pointed out
exhaustively with no takers, the assumption isn't used in calculating
probabilities. When you take the inner product of an eigenstate with the
wf, all terms drop out except the eigenvalue whose probability you are
calculating. Is the situation different with qubits*? AG

>> * I know it isn't used to calculate probabilities in quantum theory. It's
>> a postulate which is NOT used, so by Occam Razor it should be eliminated.
>> AG*
>>

> You can't calculate the final probabilities without assuming the qubits
> enter the superposition of all possible states,

*See above. I am not questioning the existence and utility of the
superposition itself, but the assumption that a system in a superposition
is simultaneously in all component states of the superposition. AG*

> which is why it becomes exponentially hard to predict what happens with a
> larger number of qubits in a quantum computer.  This is why large scale
> quantum computers must be built, we can't just simulate them with regular
> computers because the number of states it is simultaneously in quickly
> becomes enourmous:
>
> 1 qubit: 2 states
> 5 qubits: 32 states (you can use this quantum computer for free on the
> link I provided)
> 10 qubits: 1024 states
> 20 qubits: 1,048,576 states (you can pay to use this quantum computer today
>

> )
> 30 qubits: 1,073,741,824 states
> 50 qubits: 1,125,899,906,842,624 states (IBM recently built a quantum
> computer with 50 qubits
> <https://www.technologyreview.com/s/609451/ibm-raises-the-bar-with-a-50-qubit-quantum-computer/>
> )
> 100 qubits: 1,267,650,600,228,229,401,496,703,205,376 states
> 200 qubits:
> 1,606,938,044,258,990,275,541,962,092,341,162,602,522,202,993,782,792,835,301,376
>
> states
> 1000
> qubits:
> 10,715,086,071,862,673,209,484,250,490,600,018,105,614,048,117,055,336,074,437,503,883,703,510,511,249,361,224,931,983,788,156,958,581,275,946,729,175,531,468,251,871,452,856,923,140,435,984,577,574,698,574,803,934,567,774,824,230,985,421,074,605,062,371,141,877,954,182,153,046,474,983,581,941,267,398,767,559,165,543,946,077,062,914,571,196,477,686,542,167,660,429,831,652,624,386,837,205,668,069,376
>
> states
>
> We know of nothing in principal that can accurately simulate the behavior
> of a system of 1000 entangled atoms in a reasonable period of time besides
> a quantum computer.  The reason is the number above (2^1000) is so large
> that ant attempt to simulate it will fail due to physical limits of time,
> energy, and space within this universe.  So if the computational capacity
> of this universe is insufficient to compute what this system of 1000 qubits
> will do, what in physics is known which has the sufficiently large state
> and computational capacity to perform such a calculation?
>
> Answer: the wave function
>
> At the current time, there is no other known answer nor any hint of
> another theory that can explain the power of quantum computers. The only
> answer we have is that the wave function is something that is physically
> real.
>

>> *WRT the MWI, it's too tortured and extravagant to be in the ballpark of
>> reality. AG*
>>

> Do you have an alternate theory for how quantum computers can be in so
> many states simultaneously?

*I am not convinced of the simultaneous claim. Where is it actually
applied? It isn't in standard QM. AG *